Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,761.21
+0.38%
DAX
26,213.80
-0.47%
CAC 40
8,531.22
-0.56%
STOXX 50
6,490.96
-0.60%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 07 June 2019 1:23 pm  |  Updated:  Friday 07 June 2019 1:57 pm

High Court blocks Boris Johnson court summons over Brexit claim

By: Joe Curtis

Add as a preferred source on Google

Boris Johnson has won a legal challenge against a High Court summons to face charges of misconduct in a public office.

Read more: Boris Johnson launches leadership bid as Trump comes to town

The charges related to his Brexit referendum claim that the UK pays the EU £350m a week.

Earlier today Johnson’s lawyers argued that the private prosecution was “vexatious” and “politically motivated”.

The Tory leadership contender was due to face the charges in crown court.

But his lawyer, Adrian Darbishire, said the original Westminster Magistrate Court judge should not have let the case proceed.

“For the avoidance of doubt, it is denied by the claimant that he acted in any way improperly or dishonestly,” Johnson’s legal counsel said.

“Public debate about the accuracy or otherwise of the £350m continues to this day.”

Read more

Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.

A judge ruled last week that there was a case for the Conservative heavyweight to answer.

Judge Coleman said: “The allegations which have been made are unproven accusations and I do not make any findings of fact. Having considered all the relevant factors I am satisfied that this is a proper case to issue the summons as requested for the three offences as drafted.”

The private prosecution was brought by Marcus Ball, who crowdfunded more than £300,000 to bring the case.

He had claimed that Johnson had “repeatedly lied and misled the British public as to the cost of EU membership”.

Read more: Boris lawyers say case should be thrown out of court

However, Johnson’s legal counsel had responded that the case was a “political stunt”.

“A complaint about the way in which a political campaigner has deployed publicly-available statistics in the services of a political debate is not a proper basis for the criminal offence of misconduct in public office,” they added.

Read more

Brompton Bicycle sues former adviser for ‘professional negligence’

Six Brompton folding bicycles in various colors displayed in individual black cubbies.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • Brompton Bicycle sues former adviser for ‘professional negligence’

    Lawsuit
    Six Brompton folding bicycles in various colors displayed in individual black cubbies.
  • Barclays in legal battle with MFS administrators over part of £160m holding

    Banking
    Barclays bank exterior with logo as it announces mortgage rate cuts amidst upcoming interest rate decision.
  • Triumph for Tesla as top court rules 5G licensing case should be heard in UK

    Lawsuit
    Tech billionaire Elon Musk has been asked to serve in Donald Trump’s cabinet. (Photo by Apu Gomes/Getty Images)
  • Mead Johnson Welcomes Defense Verdict in Collins Case

    Business Wire
  • Michael Dell, Lord Johnson and the ‘gun to the head’ meeting that ended a £15bn AI project

    Tech
    Dell Technologies CEO Michael Dell and Johnson discussing AI pathfinder with data center in background
  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

    Lawsuit
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • FCA charges City lawyer with insider dealing over maternity brand acquisition

    Legal
    The FCA said in June any scheme must keep the market afloat in order to curb rising costs for consumers.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook