Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
0.00%
CAC 40
8,579.60
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 08 April 2025 4:46 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 08 April 2025 6:01 pm

British Steel: ‘All options on table’ over nationalising Scunthorpe, Starmer says

By: Jessica Frank-Keyes

Political Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
The trade deal is set to eliminate the tariffs on steel and aluminium if the UK meets its pledge to cut China out from supply chains.
The trade deal is set to eliminate the tariffs on steel and aluminium if the UK meets its pledge to cut China out from supply chains.

The UK is keeping “all options on the table” over the potential nationalisation of the Chinese-owned British Steel plant in Scunthorpe, Sir Keir Starmer has said.

The Prime Minister insisted he understood the importance of the plant, which is Britain’s last remaining steelmaker, in a Q&A with the House of Commons Liaison Committee, after its owners last month announced plans to shut its two blast furnaces and steelmaking facilities.

Sir Keir told the panel of senior MPs that the government “will keep talking” to the plant’s owner Jingye Group, which has previously rejected a £500m UK rescue package.

He said: “We have made an offer, but all options are on the table in relation to Scunthorpe. I think it’s really important and we’re in the middle of those discussions.”

Asked what he meant by “all options”, Starmer replied: “I don’t want to be unhelpful to the committee, but as you can imagine, these are ongoing discussions at the moment.

“I can reassure the committee that we’re doing everything we can to ensure there is a bright future for Scunthorpe. But as to precisely where we’ve got to in those talks, I will very happily provide you with further details as soon as I can.”

It comes amid a report by Bloomberg News that the government is considering nationalising the steelworks in a bid to salvage the UK’s steelmaking industry from permanent closure, and is in talks with Jingye, which bought the plant from liquidation in 2020, to find resolution.

Active discussions about taking the site into public ownership are ongoing, Bloomberg reported, according to sources familiar with the issue, who told the outlet ministers would do whatever it takes to save British Steel from collapse, but stressed plans were not finalised.

Unions are warning Jingye has cancelled orders for raw materials needed to make steel, which could see the plant effectively close for good within days.

But ministers are now looking at putting in the order themselves, in a bid to buy time to find a resolution, Bloomberg added.

Read more

Government nationalises British Steel

Britains steel industry facing challenges with potential shutdowns and job losses, highlighting economic impact.

It speaks to a challenge for a vital industry as the UK – and allies – increase spending on defence, including military procurement, as the US steps back from European security amid Russia’s ongoing invasion of and war in Ukraine.

While fears for the future of steelmaking in Britain are being worsened by President Donald Trump’s imposing 25 per cent tariffs on imports of foreign steel to the United States.

Last month it emerged British Steel plans to close the two furnaces and shutter the steelmaking operations in Scunthorpe, which would put up to 2,700 jobs at risk.

The company is consulting unions and the around 3,500-strong workforce on redundancies, which would bring an end to steelmaking in Scunthorpe after 160 years of production.

Unite, GMB and Community unions have criticised the move, which is set to leave the UK as the only G7 country without the ability to make steel domestically from scratch.

It comes after the Indian conglomerate Tata announced last September that it was closing its two blast furnaces at Port Talbot in south Wales with the loss of 2,500 jobs.

Liam Byrne, chairman of the Business and Trade Select Committee, said: “The blast furnaces at Scunthorpe are not symbols of the past – they are pillars of the future. 

“Keeping them online is not only an industrial decision, it’s a national imperative and so if needed, we will call British Steel’s chief executive Zengwei An to personally explain to Parliament what more is needed to keep the furnaces blazing and the steel rolling.”

The Department for Business and Trade (DBT) pointed Morning Wire to the Prime Minister’s earlier comments, and British Steel declined to comment.

Read more

Jonathan Reynolds’ industrial strategy is straight out of the 60s

Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

People & Organisations

  • Bloomberg
  • British Steel
  • Jingye
  • Keir Starmer
  • Labour
  • Labour Party
  • Liam Byrne
  • scunthorpe
  • steel
  • steelmaking
  • Tata Steel
  • UK economy
  • UK Government
  • UK Steel
  • unions

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Government nationalises British Steel

    Industrials
    Britains steel industry facing challenges with potential shutdowns and job losses, highlighting economic impact.
  • Jonathan Reynolds’ industrial strategy is straight out of the 60s

    Opinion
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Forget Burnham, what will Starmer do next?

    Opinion
    Keir Starmer announces resignation at press conference, standing behind podium with serious expression, addressing media
  • Starmer took sport freebies worth tens of thousands of pounds while PM

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo on a digital screen, symbolizing media content and stock photography for news and business platforms
  • Victory wasted: The cautionary tale of Keir Starmer

    Opinion
    Keir Starmer exiting a building, dressed in a suit, amid media attention, reflecting leadership and political significance
  • Keir Starmer wasn’t weird enough for Westminster

    Opinion
    Keir Starmer holding a football with a World Cup logo, smiling and engaging in a sports event discussion.
  • Government urged to refuse £1bn British Steel repayment to Chinese former owner 

    Politics
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Burnham backs higher defence spending but rules out ‘crude’ welfare cuts

    Politics
    Andy Burnham
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook