Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.08
+0.28%
DAX
26,244.28
-0.36%
CAC 40
8,544.64
-0.41%
STOXX 50
6,502.22
-0.43%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 21 March 2024 4:12 pm

Channel 4 finds ‘no evidence’ staff knew about Russell Brand allegations

By: Jack Mendel and Morning Wire reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Russell Brand
Russell Brand

Broadcaster Channel 4 has concluded an investigation into allegations against former presenter Russell Brand, and found “no evidence” other staff were aware of accusations made against him

The findings came after the 48-year-old actor, comedian and former presenter on the channel was accused of rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse.

Explosive claims were made against him in September, as part of a joint investigation by Channel 4 Dispatches and The Times and The Sunday Times.

Channel 4 said it reviewed, 111,984 emails and 333 files of archived hard copy documents, with 88 current and former Channel 4 employees, to reach the conclusion.

Brand has strongly denied all accusations while at the height of his fame between 2006 and 2013.

He recently told former Fox News host Tucker Carlson in a YouTube video that the claims were “very, very hurtful”.

He was also investigated by police in the UK. Channel 4 note that a summary of the report has also been passed on to the Metropolitan police.

After the allegations were made, YouTube halted his ability to monetise his account while at the BBC, the broadcaster said it was investigating also.

A report, released by Channel 4 on Thursday, said: “The investigation found no evidence to suggest that there was knowledge within the channel of the allegations contained in the Dispatches programme about Russell Brand’s behaviour while he was a presenter on Big Brother’s Big Mouth and Kings Of Comedy between 2004 and 2007.

“No evidence was found to substantiate the allegation in the programme that Russell Brand’s behaviour had been discussed in a commissioning meeting in 2014.”

Read more

‘Vibrant colours and sexy scents’: Steph McGovern-owned Gootopia back in profit

Blonde woman smiling with green slime background, children playing with goo, Gootopia online experience

Channel 4’s CEO Alex Mahon said: “The investigating team, with external legal help, have conducted an extremely thorough investigation into the Dispatches allegations as they pertain to Channel 4. Doing this investigation properly in extensive detail was a very important principle for us.

“Whilst the investigation did not find any evidence to suggest that any Channel 4 employees were aware of Russell Brand’s alleged behaviour contained in the programme, it did find that one former Channel 4 employee made a serious and concerning allegation about Russell Brand in 2009. This was not escalated to Channel 4’s then senior management team, nor investigated as it should have been. I have apologised on behalf of the organisation to the individual for this breakdown and for the distress this matter has caused.”

“In my view, it is a matter of regret for our industry that repugnant behaviours were tolerated – and indeed appeared on-air – in the past. Production staff, employees and suppliers should never experience inappropriate behaviour. Channel 4 and I are committed to creating an environment where if any employee or person working on a Channel 4-commissioned show feels uncomfortable about behaviour towards them, then processes are in place for investigation and for appropriate action to be taken.

“I commend the journalists involved in reporting the allegations and the people who have bravely come forward. Channel 4 has reported on itself without fear and investigated our own historical corporate responsibility thoroughly. While there is always more to be done, I am confident about the changes that have taken place in our industry over recent years, and it should now be clear that inappropriate and offensive behaviour has no place in it. I hope these issues can ultimately lead to further positive change.”

Sir Ian Cheshire, chair of Channel 4 said: “The board is satisfied that no Channel 4 employees were aware of the deeply disturbing alleged behaviour contained in Russell Brand: In Plain Sight: Dispatches. However, we consider it clear that a serious allegation about Russell Brand was made in 2009 by a then-serving member of staff which was not properly investigated nor escalated to Channel 4’s then-senior management.

“The board and ethics committee are confident that strengthened safeguarding processes introduced in the past decade mean that an allegation such as this would today be reportable through multiple routes.

“The investigation’s recommendations, which are accepted in full, will further strengthen Channel 4’s already rigorous safeguarding processes to further protect and uphold the welfare of all employees and those that the channel works with.”

More to follow

Additional reporting by the Press Association

Read more

Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Media

People & Organisations

  • channel 4
  • russell brand

Related Topics

  • Channel 4

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • ‘Vibrant colours and sexy scents’: Steph McGovern-owned Gootopia back in profit

    Business
    Blonde woman smiling with green slime background, children playing with goo, Gootopia online experience
  • Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Russian propaganda website hit with record ‘pink slime’ payout at High Court

    Life&Style
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • Free-to-air bonanza boon for fans, sport and marketers

    Sport Business
    Getty Images collection number 2284379076 featuring diverse business professionals in a collaborative meeting setting.
  • Revealed: Natwest banked company used by MFS founder to ‘siphon off’ funds

    Banking
    Hand holding a NatWest debit card with a colorful design, blurred NatWest logo in the background.
  • Former Lloyd’s chief John Neal breached rules with undisclosed relationship

    Insurance
    John Neal (Credit: Lloyd's of London)
  • EY and London managing partner fined over £1.3m for audit failure

    Big Four
    EY London headquarters building exterior on a sunny day, showcasing modern architecture in the citys business district
  • ‘The problems didn’t begin with John Edwards’: Pressure grows for wider data watchdog overhaul

    Tech
    Offi
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook