Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
0.00%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 29 August 2023 1:59 pm

Chelsea accused of penalising disabled fans with ‘appalling’ coach subsidy decision

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
Chelsea chiefs have scrapped their coach subsidy for away games, a move called "appalling" by fans' groups
Chelsea chiefs have scrapped their coach subsidy for away games, a move called “appalling” by fans’ groups

Chelsea supporters have accused the club of penalising disabled and vulnerable fans by taking the “appalling decision” to remove subsidised coach travel to domestic away games.

Blues chiefs said this week that it was “not financially sustainable” to maintain the subsidy, which the Chelsea Supporters’ Trust believes costs £250,000 a year – less than some first-team players earn in a week. 

It comes just weeks after the club broke the British transfer record by spending more than £100m on a player for the second time this year.

The Premier League team has revenue of £480m and has run up close to £1bn in transfer fees since their takeover by Todd Boehly’s consortium last summer.

The CST said the move would make attending away games unaffordable for some fans during the cost of living crisis and accused Boehly and other club chiefs of reneging on a commitment to keep Chelsea inclusive.

“The appalling decision will force those who rely on the service to pay significantly more to travel to away games,” the trust said.

“Despite representations from the CST and coach users, Chelseas has unfortunately decided that retaining the £10 subsidy is not ‘financially sustainable’.

“It is important to note that the decision was made in the same year that the club broke the transfer record twice. 

“It appears that during a cost of living crisis, Chelsea are happy to increase the financial burden on many supporters by penny-pinching.”

Read more

Chelsea fans stunned as ticket sharing equated with sexual misconduct

Crowds of fans gather outside the Chelsea FC stadium on a sunny day, with a Matchday Programmes On Sale sign visible.

Chelsea consulted supporters’ group and the club’s Fan Advisory Board before deciding to remove the subsidy, which they acknowledged they had been asked to retain.

“This was taken into consideration alongside the operational costs of running the coaches, and the number of people who benefit from the subsidy,” the club said. 

“When considering all factors, it was not financially sustainable to continue to offer subsidised coach travel.”

The CST said it met with Chelsea chiefs as recently as last Friday to warn them it would be “totally unacceptable” to remove the subsidy. 

“This decision also contradicts the commitment to inclusivity that the club guaranteed during takeover discussions held last spring [2022].”

In response, the trust has pledged to part-subsidise coach travel to the next men’s away game, at Bournemouth on 17 September. 

This is not the first time this year that the club has faced pressure from supporters to back out of a controversial decision.

Earlier in the summer the CST successfully lobbied Chelsea to drop talks with crypto gambling platform Stake.com over a front-of-shirt sponsorship deal.

Chelsea were approached for further comment.

Breaking the British transfer record twice in a year is fine, but a £10 subsidised coach is where Chelsea draws the line

▪️ Chelsea to remove domestic away coach subsidy

▪️ CST to subsidise coach for #BOUCHE to highlight the appalling decision & urges CFC to reconsider cutback pic.twitter.com/ta1uZYksYS

— Chelsea Supporters’ Trust⭐️⭐️ (@ChelseaSTrust) August 29, 2023
Read more

Todd Boehly and Mark Walter to sell stakes in Chelsea?

Football fans protest in the street holding a banner: Blueco Clearlake Boehly Wyss Feliciano & Eghbali Youre Destroying Ou...

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport Business
  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Chelsea FC
  • Football
  • Football finance
  • Premier League football
  • Sport business
  • Sports money

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

More from Morning Wire

  • Chelsea fans stunned as ticket sharing equated with sexual misconduct

    Sport Business
    Crowds of fans gather outside the Chelsea FC stadium on a sunny day, with a Matchday Programmes On Sale sign visible.
  • Todd Boehly and Mark Walter to sell stakes in Chelsea?

    Sport Business
    Football fans protest in the street holding a banner: Blueco Clearlake Boehly Wyss Feliciano & Eghbali Youre Destroying Ou...
  • Trump-linked Kushner and ex-Disney boss to buy £9bn LA Lakers from Chelsea co-owner

    Sport Business
    Luka Dončić in a purple Lakers jersey with number 77, smiling on a basketball court
  • Manchester United accused of banning loyal fans to make space for big-spending tourists

    Sport Business
    Excited football fans in a stadium, many wearing red shirts, cheering and holding up phones.
  • Dimon threatens to ditch JP Morgan tower in tax warning to Burnham

    Banking
    Jamie Dimon speaking at a JP Morgan event, wearing a suit and tie, addressing financial trends and market strategies.
  • Infantino facing IOC probe after complaint lodged over Trump’s Balogun intervention

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo on a smartphone screen, symbolizing stock photography and media resources for news and business websites.
  • Royal Hospital Chelsea to host top Arabian horse competition

    Sport Business
    British soldiers in red uniforms parade in front of historic buildings under a partly cloudy sky.
  • Chelsea fined £10m, avoid points penalty and receive Mykhailo Mudryk boost

    Sport Business
    A male Chelsea FC player, possibly Mykhailo Mudryk, in a blue and black long-sleeved training top, stretching.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook