Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 08 April 2026 7:28 am  |  Updated:  Wednesday 08 April 2026 8:56 am

Close Brothers shares soar as bank ‘well positioned’ for £320m motor finance hit

By: Samuel Norman

Senior City Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Close Brothers has upped its motor finance provisions.
Close Brothers stood by its motor finance provisions.

Close Brothers has insisted it is “well positioned” to absorb the financial hit from the City watchdog’s motor finance redress scheme but added to speculation another legal battle could be on the horizon.

The FTSE 250 lender told markets on Wednesday morning that it estimates the cost of the Financial Conduct Authority’s (FCA) redress scheme would come in at £320m, falling broadly in line with the £300m the firm had estimated it was on the hook for.

Shares soared on the news, with the bank notching a whopping 20 per cent gain on open to 478p.

The scheme is anticipated to hit the bank’s CET1 ratio – a key metric indicating its financial health – by 25 basis points, taking it to 14 per cent. This remains ahead of the bank’s 12 to 13 per cent target.

But some ambiguity does remain around potential legal challenges to the scheme.

Close Brothers said the final outcome will be “dependent upon any potential further legal, regulatory or industry developments (including any legal challenge of the scheme by various parties)”.

Following the FCA’s publication of the final rules for the redress, analysts forecast more legal battles on the horizon after the scheme was split into two separate parts for pre-2014 and post.

The inclusion of deals going back to 2007 in the redress holds onto a major industry contention for the motor finance scandal.

Another legal row ‘highly likely’

Benjamin Toms, equity analyst at RBC, said: “We think that it is highly likely that at least one, if not multiple, of the many interested parties will ask the administrative courts to review the scheme.”

Read more

Close Brothers shares fall as motor finance scandal threatens worst returns in Europe

Close Brothers has upped its motor finance provisions.

Toms added this reaction was likely “envisaged by the FCA” through its introduction of two schemes.

Lloyds Banking Group – the owner of the UK’s largest motor finance lender Black Horse – stood by its £2bn in provisions last week but also warned of uncertainty on the horizon.

“The ultimate outcome may also differ dependent upon potential actions by various parties, including legal proceedings and complaints,” a statement from Lloyds said.

Following the bank’s third-quarter results last October, finance boss William Chalmers refused to rule out a legal challenge from Lloyds, should the scheme not be adapted as Lloyds sees fit.

“I shan’t comment any further on what we’ll do beyond the consultation process itself,” he said.

Close Brothers – which was one of two banks that took the motor finance battle to the Supreme Court – stopped short of ruling out a further legal showdown.

“The group will continue to closely monitor any further legal, regulatory and industry developments and is considering its next steps,” a statement said on Wednesday.

The update from Close Brothers follows a blistering note from short-seller Viceroy, which accused the bank of under-provisioning and “systematically misrepresenting” its exposure to the motor finance scandal.

Mike Morgan, the chief executive of Close Brothers, previously told Morning Wire: “We strongly disagree with this report. You know, we operate to the highest standards… it’s non-negotiable.”

Read more

City watchdog suspends parts of £9bn motor finance scheme after industry backlash

The FCA has appointed Liam Coleman interim chair of the FOS.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking
  • Business
  • Markets
  • Regulation

People & Organisations

  • capital markets
  • car emissions
  • car finance
  • close brothers
  • Close Brothers CEO
  • FCA
  • FCAS
  • Financial Conduct Authority
  • Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
  • ftse 100
  • ftse 100 boss
  • LLoyds
  • Lloyds Bank
  • Lloyds Banking
  • Lloyds Banking Group
  • Lloyds Barclays
  • markets
  • markets live
  • motor finance
  • motor finance review
  • motor finance scandal
  • regulation
  • Regulation UK
  • The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
  • UK economy
  • UK Government

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Close Brothers shares fall as motor finance scandal threatens worst returns in Europe

    Banking
    Close Brothers has upped its motor finance provisions.
  • City watchdog suspends parts of £9bn motor finance scheme after industry backlash

    Banking
    The FCA has appointed Liam Coleman interim chair of the FOS.
  • Motor finance war of words heats up as City watchdog blasts law firm’s motives

    Legal
    The FCA has introduced new proposals to close the financial advice gap.
  • FCA boss takes aim at motor finance lenders and claims firms

    Banking
    The FCA laid out the next steps for its motor finance redress.
  • Questions raised over FCA’s new short-selling rules 

    News
    The FCA has been urged to show change in its motor finance redress scheme.
  • Stamp duty on shares is ‘biggest handbrake’ says UK bank chief

    Markets
    LSEG logo on a large screen inside a modern building with stock tickers and glass ceilings.
  • Kemi Badenoch’s economic revolution could set the City free

    Opinion
    Kemi Badenoch will push to restore the Tories' economic credibility in the eyes of the public in a key speech.
  • Housebuilder Bellway calls for ‘immediate’ cut to stamp duty

    Property
    Barratt Redrow said it remained "confident" in its medium-term target of 22,000 homes a year.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook