Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,710.81
-0.09%
DAX
26,231.56
-0.41%
CAC 40
8,534.31
-0.53%
STOXX 50
6,491.07
-0.60%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 10 September 2019 6:17 pm

Cobham shareholder comes out against £4bn takeover deal by US private equity firm

By: Alex Daniel

Add as a preferred source on Google
(Getty)

The furore surrounding aerospace stalwart Cobham’s controversial £4bn takeover by a US private equity group shifted up a gear today, as one of its top shareholders rebuffed the plan.

Sanderson Asset Management, an investment firm operating out of London and Chicago, which is Cobham’s 11th largest shareholder, has written to the FTSE 250 company’s founding family to say that it, like them, is against the takeover.

Read more: Speculation of possible rival bids in wake of Advent International’s £4bn offer for Cobham

The asset manager said it was “inclined to vote against” the deal on 16 September, when shareholders are due to make their decision.

It said: “We have privately communicated our position to the board along with our desire to see the current management team continue their good work in the event a better offer does not materialise.”

The news was first reported by the Financial Times.

The letter is likely to have cheered Lady Nadine Cobham, whose late husband Michael ran the firm and was the son of founder Alan. She has repeatedly railed against the planned takeover by private equity giant Advent International on the basis the 165p all-cash offer significantly undervalues Cobham’s financial recovery over the last two-and-a-half years.

She is not the only one to have already voiced her concerns. Silchester International Investors, which was Cobham’s largest shareholder when the deal was announced in July, has urged the board to find a better deal. 

However, it has not gone so far as to nail its colours to the mast and declare it will vote against the takeover of the 85-year-old defence manufacturer, which is most famous for developing technology which allows one aircraft to refuel from another flying alongside it. 

Read more: Cobham’s share price soars as it agrees £4bn deal to escape the public eye

The scales still appear to be weighted in favour of the deal, after two influential shareholder advisory groups, ISS and Glass Lewis, last week recommended investors back the takeover. However, with several major shareholders unsure of the takeover, it remains unclear whether it has the 75 per cent of the vote required for the buyout to go through.

Cobham declined to comment.

Read more

Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Cobham
  • M&A

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Billionaire Easyjet founder in line for £800m payday from takeover

    Markets
    Easygroup boss Stelios hits out after trademark defeat in London
  • Tate & Lyle faces shareholder revolt over executive pay

    Retail
    Tate & Lyle logo, a global food ingredients supplier, on a corporate building.
  • FTSE 100 Segro ‘minded to accept’ £14bn Prologis takeover

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • FTSE 250 facilities manager swept off London Stock Exchange in £3.1bn deal

    Markets
    Mitie logo, a prominent facilities management and professional services company
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook