Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
+0.53%
CAC 40
8,636.80
-0.16%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
-0.09%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 27 February 2024 12:45 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 27 February 2024 4:14 pm

Elliott tries and fails with second bid for Currys as takeover war continues

By: Laura McGuire

Add as a preferred source on Google
Investors will get a glimpse into whether consumers are loosening their budgets and upgrading their homes when AO World and Currys report on their yearly profits.
The rival electricals and home appliance retailers will be publishing their full-year financial results on Wednesday and Thursday.

Currys has rejected a second takeover bid from activist investment firm Elliott Advisors worth around £750m.

The owner of Waterstones had lodged an offer of between 65p and 70p-a-share, up slightly from an initial 62p-a-share bid worth £700m, Sky News’ Mark Kleinman said. 

Currys rejected an offer from the firm last week on the grounds that it undervalued the company. 

But Elliot came back and said it would consider a possible cash offer for Currys, but noted there “can be no certainty that an offer will be made”. 

Currys is also said to be in talks with Chinese commerce giant JD.com about the possibility of a deal, however cautioned at the time there “can be no certainty that an offer could be made”. 

In the last year, investors have watched Currys struggle to keep its head above water, as a slowdown in spending and national cash crunch battered both its earnings and share price. 

Its most notable ploy to shore up extra funds was offloading its Greek and Cypriot arm for £175m.

In a statement issued to the London Stock Exchange, Currys said: “Further to our announcement dated 17 February 2024, the board of Currys notes the recent media speculation and confirms it has received a further preliminary and conditional proposal from Elliott Advisors (UK) Limited regarding a possible cash offer for the entire issued and to be issued share capital of the company at 67 pence per share.

“This follows the prior unsolicited proposal from Elliott at 62 pence per share which was unanimously rejected by the board of Currys on the basis that it significantly undervalued the company and its future prospects.

“The board of Currys considered the second Elliott proposal, together with its financial advisers, and concluded that it significantly undervalued the company and its future prospects.

“Accordingly, on 26 February 2024, the board of Currys unanimously rejected the second Elliott proposal.

“There can be no certainty that an offer will be made for Currys nor as to the terms on which any offer might be made.”

Read more

Currys hands outgoing boss Alex Baldock £2m pay rise

Alex Baldock in a suit and orange tie speaking to a crowd of people in purple shirts.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Retail

People & Organisations

  • Currys

Trending Articles

  • Jobs market ‘stops moving’ as employment costs weigh on hirers

  • House prices suffer biggest August slump in eight years 

  • Back bookshops in bid to rebuild high streets, Burnham urged

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Reform pledges £50bn savings in ‘generational’ benefits shake-up

More from Morning Wire

  • Currys hands outgoing boss Alex Baldock £2m pay rise

    Retail
    Alex Baldock in a suit and orange tie speaking to a crowd of people in purple shirts.
  • Currys launches £50m buyback as it shrugs off market slowdown

    Retail
    Currys storefront with prominent logo and modern exterior design, reflecting its role as a leading electronics retailer
  • Metapack® Chosen by Currys to Support Delivery Operations Across the UK&I

    Business Wire
  • FTSE 100 property giant Segro rejects £13.5bn Prologis bid

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Prologis ramps up pressure on FTSE 100 property giant Segro

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • FTSE 100 property firm slams ‘opportunistic, one-sided, inadequate’ takeover offer

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook