Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 12 June 2025 7:19 pm

Exclusive: Richard Caring hits suppliers with mandatory ‘discount’ amid £1bn sale talks

By: Steve Dinneen

Life&Style Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
Richard Caring

The Richard Caring restaurant empire, which includes the Ivy Collection and Caprice Holdings, has demanded its suppliers take a 2.5 per cent “discount”, blaming “increased tax burden and cost of employment, cost of indirect products [and] services and also direct cost of food and beverage.”

In a letter dated 3 June, signed by Richard Caring’s head of indirect and beverage procurement Jeremy Evans, the company said: “Our businesses work hard to mitigate cost wherever possible in order to maintain value for money and relevance to their guests. If our businesses are strong and growing then we hope your business will also benefit. To ensure our businesses can remain strong we will apply a 2.5 per cent discount on supplier accounts at point of payment. 

“This mandatory discount is being applied in response to the current increased cost of trading. We are asking all of our supplier partners to work with us as we support each other through this difficult period. The discount will be applied from the next available pay run and will remain in place until further notice.”

A spokesperson for the company told Morning Wire: “The letter makes it very clear that if any suppliers have any concerns they should contact us and we will speak with them.”

The move comes amid rumours Richard Caring is in advanced talks to sell a £1b stake in Troia, the company behind the Ivy Collection, with Abu Dhabi royal Sheikh Tahnoon bin Zayed al-Nahyan understood to be interested, according to the Financial Times.

That sale could include a stake in London icons Annabel’s, the George Club and Harry’s Bar as well as the Ivy Collection, which operates more than 40 restaurants in the UK and Ireland.

Its financial accounts for 2023, published in April seven months after the Companies House deadline, showed Caprice Holdings shed 300 jobs. Its pre-tax profit rose from £29m to £37.6m and revenue increased from £302.9m to £314.7m over the same period.

Read more

Could a ‘land blocking’ rule change spell danger for Aldi and Lidl?

Lidl supermarket sign with blue, yellow, and red logo against a clear blue sky

Caring owns up to a 50 per cent stake in the business, with other shareholders including the former Qatari prime minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin-Jaber al-Thani.

One industry expert told Morning Wire they believe the letter to suppliers could be a bid to improve margins to help bolster the company’s chances of achieving its ambitious sale.

Earlier this week Tomas Minkley, former operations director at The Ivy Collection, said he believed the Ivy’s expansion has harmed the reputation of the flagship restaurant. The Bob Bob Ricard chief operating officer told Morning Wire: “I think you’d be foolish to think it hasn’t. The reality is everybody knows it has made a bit of an impact on the business. It’ll be interesting to see when the business is sold whether the original flagship in Covent Garden is part of that sale. For me, they’re two completely different businesses, and they should be treated as two different businesses.”

The restaurant business is going through an unprecedented squeeze on margins. This month restaurateur James Robson told Morning Wire the current government is “absolutely killing” the sector. The Fallow, Roe and Fowl founder said: “This government has got rid of just about every international person with money… What they’ve done to business has absolutely killed us. They have scared the international wealth out of London. 

“I would wipe out rates, literally wipe them out, because it’s just unfair. We’re competing with delivery companies who have a dark kitchen in a basement and don’t pay tax in this country. I would reduce VAT on food and beverage. And I would stop taxing the hell out of people that create employment.”

Michelin starred chef Tom Sellers echoed that sentiment in an exclusive Morning Wire interview this month. When asked what challenges the sector is facing he said: “The work from home culture, people not coming into town, corporate money being clipped, people just feeling the squeeze generally with the base rate of interest, the National Insurance increase. There are so many factors. The world we find ourselves in, with inflation, cost of produce, cost of labour, we’re lucky if we make 10p on the pound.”

Read more

Exclusive: Coq d’Argent unveils new riverside location as it bids farewell to No.1 Poultry

Coq dArgent financial district restaurant exterior with modern architecture and rooftop terrace ambiance

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style
  • News

Categories

  • Life&Style
  • Business
  • Hospitality
  • Food
  • Wine

People & Organisations

  • caprice holdings
  • james robson
  • Richard Caring
  • The Ivy
  • tom sellers
  • tomas minkley

Trending Articles

  • Nanochon Receives Regulatory Approval from Panamá’s Ministry of Health to Initiate First-in-Human Clinical Study of Chondrograft™

  • Analysis: What would Todd Boehly and Mark Walter stake sales mean for Chelsea?

  • We take a food and drink Odyssey through the Square Mile

  • Paramount-Warner Bros deal faces ‘sufficient competition’, says CMA

  • Watchdog takes aim at lawyers blaming juniors for AI blunders

More from Morning Wire

  • Could a ‘land blocking’ rule change spell danger for Aldi and Lidl?

    Retail
    Lidl supermarket sign with blue, yellow, and red logo against a clear blue sky
  • Exclusive: Coq d’Argent unveils new riverside location as it bids farewell to No.1 Poultry

    Life&Style
    Coq dArgent financial district restaurant exterior with modern architecture and rooftop terrace ambiance
  • Energy discount scheme for homes near new pylons branded ‘bribe’ by Reform

    Energy
    Pylons standing tall against a clear sky following Engies acquisition of UK Power Networks, symbolizing energy sector growth.
  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

    Retail
    Giles Hurley, Aldi UK CEO, stands in a supermarket produce aisle with fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • One Rock Capital Partners Completes Strategic Investment to Create Eat Happy Hana Group

    Business Wire
  • Martin Williams on his favourite Toast the City venues

    Life&Style
    brigadiers
  • Industry bodies call on Burnham to bring down energy bills to fire up growth

    Energy
    North Sea oil terminal with tankers, storage tanks, and cranes under a cloudy sky, highlighting energy industry infrastruc...
  • IFF Announces Agreement to Sell Its Portfolio of Botanical Extracts, Vitamins & Minerals and Food Enhancement Activities to SuanNutra, a Portfolio Company of Carbyne Equity Partners.

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook