Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 01 December 2020 1:42 pm

Facebook to pay UK news publishers for use of articles

By: James Warrington

Add as a preferred source on Google
Facebook Hosts Annual F8 Developer Conference In San Jose
The social media giant has also recently been hit with a double data crackdown as the UK and EU opened competition probes into the company.

Facebook will pay UK news publishers to use some of their articles as the tech giant looks to fend off the looming threat of regulation.

From January the site will launch a dedicated news section with a selection of articles from top publishing groups.

The companies behind the Guardian, the Independent and the Evening Standard have already signed up for the programme, as well as regional publishers such as JPI Media, Reach and Archant.

Conde Nast, the magazine giant behind titles including GQ, Vanity Fair, Vogue and Wired, is also taking part.

Facebook said its new service will offer a mix of curated and personalised top stories to its users, with a pledge to prioritise “original and authoritative reporting on pressing topics”.

It said the move will allow publishers to reach new audiences and boost advertising and subscription opportunities.

“Facebook is committed to supporting news organisations as they adapt to the changing digital world, and we are delighted to have so many partners working with us at this early stage,” the company said in a blogpost.

It comes amid growing calls for a crackdown on tech giants such as Facebook and Google over their monopolistic power.

Read more

Google backs publisher model as Apple considers price tag for news

AI copyright laws

A Lords committee last week blasted the “dysfunctional” online ad market, highlighting in particular the “fundamental imbalance of power” between platforms and news publishers.

It called for the tech titans to pay publishers for use of their content and said platforms such as Google should be more transparent with their user data.

The government has also announced the launch of a new digital markets unit aimed at tightening control over how online platforms use consumer data.

The new unit, which will come into force in April, is part of a wider move towards regulating the digital economy.

But Facebook’s new programme will come as a major boost to news publishers, which have suffered a sharp downturn in advertising revenue this year even as reader numbers have surged during the pandemic.

Even before the outbreak of Covid-19, however, many publishers have been calling for a levelling of the playing field over concerns online platforms were unfairly taking advertising revenue away from publishers.

In October Google committed to paying $1bn (£750m) to publishers over the next three years in a bid to address complaints from news organisations.

Read more

Russian propaganda website hit with record ‘pink slime’ payout at High Court

Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Media
  • Tech

Related Topics

  • Facebook

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • Google backs publisher model as Apple considers price tag for news

    Media
    AI copyright laws
  • Russian propaganda website hit with record ‘pink slime’ payout at High Court

    Life&Style
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • Anthropic payout piles pressure on UK ministers in AI copyright row

    Tech
    Smartphone displaying the Claude by Anthropic AI assistant app, showing the app icon and interface.
  • Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Hacking scandal? Inside Prince Harry’s costly legal battle over privacy

    Media
    Associated Newspapers, which is owned by Lord Rothermere's Daily Mail and General (DMG Media), said losses ballooned from £699,000 in 2022 to £44.5m in the year ended 1 October 2023
  • Meta trial risks reputational damage that ‘dwarfs’ financial hit

    Tech
    Mark Zuckerberg in a dark suit, looking intently with a red light blurred in the background
  • Claude to watermark AI ‘slop’ – including edited human writing

    Tech
    Smartphone displaying the Claude by Anthropic AI assistant app, showing the app icon and interface.
  • Interactive Brokers Opens AI Connectivity to Any Tool Built on the MCP Standard

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook