Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,736.90
+0.08%
DAX
26,132.38
+0.02%
CAC 40
8,521.71
+0.15%
STOXX 50
6,472.41
+0.07%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 13 May 2019 12:03 am  |  Updated:  Wednesday 05 June 2019 8:59 am

Ford gears up to announce up to 550 job losses for UK office workers amid turnaround efforts

Ford is poised to announce as many as 550 job cuts in the coming weeks as part of a major restructuring programme, Morning Wire has learnt.

Read more: Ford casts further doubt over future of its UK operations post-Brexit

The second-biggest car maker in the US is expected to make the reductions among office workers at its Essex base, who work on matters including vehicle development.

The announcement is not expected to impact its UK manufacturing employees who work at factories in Dagenham, Bridgend or Halewood, of whom there are around 5,000.

Ford is in the midst of a global turnaround effort, including a plan to streamline its European operations which reported a modest $57m (£43.9m) first-quarter profit last month. As part of the strategy, it announced in March it would reduce its 24,000 strong workforce in Germany by 5,000 people, including temporary staff.

At the same time, Ford said it would also offer voluntary redundancies to some of its workers in the UK to “help accelerate the [turnaround] plan and return to sustainable profitability”, but did not say how many people would be affected.

A source with knowledge of the matter told Morning Wire this number would be “around 500 to 550”, and it would be among the company’s “white collar, salaried employees” including those in management positions.

A Ford spokesperson said: “We have confirmed a voluntary separation programme for salaried employees in the UK but we have not confirmed numbers at this time.”

Morning Wire understands the move is not directly related to Britain leaving the European Union, but Brexit is the biggest headwind currently facing automotive firms with manufacturing operations in the UK.

If the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal and falls back on World Trade Organisation rules, output is forecast to fall around 30 per cent to 1.07m units, consistent with production levels in the mid-1980s.

Read more: Ford's Europe head says a no-deal Brexit would be an 'absolute disaster'

As well as the European job cuts, chief executive Jim Hackett’s plan to turn the automotive giant around has included investing $500m in US electric truck company Rivian, forming an alliance with Europe’s biggest car maker Volkswagen and withdrawing from the Russian market.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Manufacturing sector

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

More from Morning Wire

  • Is it ever ok to wear shorts to the office?

    Opinion
    Man in shorts and sunglasses walking through an office, holding a Free Palestine mug, while colleagues watch in disbelief.
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • In praise of Count Binface

    Opinion
    Count Binface wearing a silver mask and cape, standing in front of a podium during a press conference.
  • Donkervoort P24 RS supercar coming to the UK in right-hand drive

    Life&Style
    Dark green Donkervoort sportscar with exposed front wheels and orange interior, parked on a winding road with mountains
  • The Debate: Is Count Binface funny?

    Opinion
    Count Binface in his distinctive silver bin helmet and black armored suit, giving two thumbs up.
  • Goodwood Festival of Speed 2026 Preview

    Sponsored
    Renault's 5 Turbo 3E will make its UK debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
  • Renault Scenic E-Tech 2026 review: An electric SUV for our times

    Life&Style
    Renault Scenic E-Tech showcasing sleek design and advanced features in latest tech review
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook