Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
France

Netanyahu rejects US‑backed Gaza plan as Iran vows to keep Hormuz closed and regional powers sign new defence pacts

Israel refuses a 15‑point proposal backed by Washington, Iran threatens to maintain a closure of the Strait of Hormuz, and Turkey, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia formalise a defence agreement likened to NATO’s Article 5.

By
Middle East live: Netanyahu rejects Trump’s 15-point Gaza plan

On Sunday the Israeli prime minister announced that Israeli forces will not be withdrawn until Hamas is genuinely disarmed. The declaration was made during a cabinet meeting in Jerusalem and included a rejection of a fifteen‑point Gaza proposal that had been supported by the United States president.

Gaza proposal and Hamas response

The rejected plan, accepted by Hamas, called for a staged Israeli withdrawal and the release of hostages. A senior Hamas official urged the United States to exert pressure on the Israeli leader to avoid obstructing the process for internal political or electoral reasons.

Iran’s stance on the Strait of Hormuz

The Revolutionary Guard announced that the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the United States meets a list of demands. Its spokesman described the waterway as a theatre of war rather than a commercial route. The Iranian demands include lifting the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports, compensation for war damages and the release of frozen Iranian assets.

The Iranian foreign minister added that talks with Washington would not resume while the United States continues to breach an interim memorandum signed in June.

U.S. position

The U.S. president said his administration is handling the issue quietly and is only semi‑negotiating, while monitoring Iran’s high inflation and lack of funds. Since the February strikes, the United States has maintained a naval presence in the region and imposed sanctions.

New regional defence arrangements

Syria announced a memorandum with Russia to convert the Russian bases at Hmeimim Airport and Tartus port into joint training and rehabilitation centres within three months. Meanwhile Turkey, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia signed a defence agreement in Mecca. The Turkish foreign minister said the pact is technically equivalent to NATO’s Article 5, is not aimed at Iran and will be overseen by a ministerial committee and a secretariat based in Riyadh. He added that Egypt is expected to join after technical issues are resolved.

Yemen’s Houthi attacks

Houthi forces in Yemen claimed missile and drone attacks on Saudi positions in Mokha and on the Saudi Aramco refinery in Jazan, a facility that processes four hundred thousand barrels of oil per day. Saudi officials reported that a fire at the refinery was extinguished and that there were no injuries.

More from France