Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
France

Prince Harry and Meghan to Return to the UK, Settle Outside London by End‑September

The Sussexes will leave California before the month ends, taking up residence in a private home outside London while remaining financially independent and non‑working members of the royal family.

By
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press

Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have confirmed that they will depart the United States before the end of September and will live in a private residence outside London. The move was first reported by The Telegraph and later confirmed by the Press Association, which said the monarch was notified on a Sunday.

Background to the relocation

The couple stepped back from official royal duties in 2020 after a public disagreement with the royal family and an interview with Oprah Winfrey. Their departure from the United Kingdom was dubbed “Megxit” by the tabloid press. Since then they have been based in Montecito, California, while maintaining a property in Portugal.

In July they visited the United Kingdom with their children, Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, who have been enrolled in a British school for the upcoming academic year. BBC and other media have confirmed that the children have not met their grandfather, King Charles III, since 2022.

Royal status and security

Returning to the United Kingdom does not change Harry and Meghan’s classification as non‑working members of the royal family. They will continue to fund their own household and will not resume any official duties. The couple’s move follows a court decision that removed state‑funded police protection for the Sussexes.

King Charles expressed a personal welcome for the family’s return, stating, "Welcomes the opportunity to see more of the family in a personal capacity." He previously said it was impossible for him to bring his family back safely after the court ruling.

A Home Office spokesperson said, "Britain’s protective security system is rigorous and proportionate, with decisions made by a committee that includes the Metropolitan Police and the royal household." No details have been released about the specific security arrangements that will be put in place for the Sussexes in their new home.

Property and market considerations

Analysts note that the new residence could be affected by the slowdown in the London property market. While the exact address has not been disclosed, the Sussexes are expected to retain their Montecito home and the Portuguese property, but they will not occupy any traditional royal palaces.

Family dynamics and public reaction

It is not known whether Prince William and Catherine have been informed of the decision; the brothers have reportedly been estranged. Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams described the development as "Extraordinary" and suggested that the couple may be seeking a more stable setting for their children.

The couple’s return comes as their Netflix agreement and other media ventures have produced mixed results, and it may influence public views of the monarchy amid broader economic challenges highlighted in recent UK growth forecasts.

No formal statements have been issued by the royal household regarding any public duties or detailed security plans for the Sussexes once they settle outside London.

More from France