Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,737.12
+0.16%
DAX
26,137.65
-0.76%
CAC 40
8,519.47
-0.70%
STOXX 50
6,471.75
-0.90%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 30 August 2019 8:22 am  |  Updated:  Friday 30 August 2019 9:21 am

Google uncovers ‘indiscriminate’ iPhone hack attack lasting years

By: Anna Menin

Add as a preferred source on Google

Google security researchers say they have found evidence of a “group making a sustained effort” to hack iPhones over at least two years.

The researchers found a number of websites being used to launch “indiscriminate” attacks on iPhones when visited. The team estimated the sites were visited “thousands of visitors per week”.

Read more: Apple apologises for listening to Siri conversations

Details of the attack were published in a series of blog posts by Ian Beer, a member of Project Zero, Google’s taskforce for finding security flaws.

Beer said the sites had been hacking iPhones over “period of at least two years” and the vulnerabilities affected iOS 10 to iOS 12 – the current software.

“There was no target discrimination,” said Beer. “Simply visiting the hacked site was enough for the exploit server to attack your device, and if it was successful, install a monitoring implant.”

Once the bug had implanted itself on an iPhone, it could access data including contacts, images, GPS data, and saved passwords. It could also take data from apps used on the phone, such as Instagram and WhatsApp.

Google disclosed the security flaws to Apple in February, giving the company a week to fix them. Apple released iOS 12.1.4 six days later to address the problems.

Read more: Apple reportedly hikes streaming budget as it eyes November launch date

Beer warned that other similar attacks could still be ongoing. “For this one campaign that we’ve seen, there are almost certainly others that are yet to be seen,” he said.

Apple declined to comment.

Main image credit: Getty

Read more

UK government probes OpenAI breach after ‘unprecedented’ hack

Sam Altman discussing OpenAIs ChatGPT advancements at a press conference, emphasizing AI innovation and future developments

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Tech

Related Topics

  • Apple
  • Google

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • UK government probes OpenAI breach after ‘unprecedented’ hack

    Tech
    Sam Altman discussing OpenAIs ChatGPT advancements at a press conference, emphasizing AI innovation and future developments
  • Orca Security Report: 99.9% of Fixable AI Vulnerabilities Remain Unpatched as AI Moves Into Production

    Business Wire
  • UK’s AI watchdog flags new OpenAI and Anthropic cyber alarms

    AI
    Smartphone displaying the Claude by Anthropic AI assistant app, showing the app icon and interface.
  • The real winner of the Fifa World Cup? Beer

    Sport Business
    Breaking news concept with blurred newspaper headlines and world map background, emphasizing global journalism and media.
  • Francis Hotel Bath: Old-world glamour meets new-school cool

    Life&Style
    Elegant Francis Hotel Bath guest room with dark green paneled walls, brown leather sofa, and floral headboard.
  • Strait of Hormuz ‘closed’ as Iran and US exchange strikes

    Economics
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • The only answers to over-tourism are prices or queues

    Opinion
    Tourists photograph the ornate white marble Trevi Fountain in Rome, Italy.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook