Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
0.00%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 15 January 2019 6:44 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 03 June 2019 3:47 am

The Hundred shows Tom Harrison and the ECB putting all of its eggs into one basket – will the gamble pay off?

For a competition that doesn’t yet exist The Hundred – if, as expected, that is what it will eventually be called – has caused an awful lot of consternation.

Since being announced in April, information about the new 100-ball format has leaked gradually, like a broken tap, with each drop prompting more questions than the last.

And while we still don’t have a name, teams, players or sponsors as the summer of 2020 start date edges closer, we do now have some word from those making the decisions at the top of the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Chief executive Tom Harrison stuck his head above the parapet for the first time on Monday, unveiling a new five-year strategy document echoing the London 2012 Olympics with the title “Inspiring Generations”.

While the 35-page plan for the period of 2020 to 2024 covers the broad topics of widening the sport’s appeal, safeguarding its future and encouraging growth at the grassroots level, everything is tied into what Harrison carefully termed “The New Competition”.

The ECB has set aside £180m over five years to fund the format, which will squeeze into English cricket’s domestic schedule alongside the T20 Blast, One-Day Cup and County Championship.

For now that’s about all we know. More details are expected soon after the first-class counties, who all attended Monday’s meeting, sign off on the playing conditions.

Cricket will face many challenges in the future and The New Competition is being presented as a silver bullet – a way to simultaneously generate revenue, appeal to both new and existing fans, diversify and change perceptions. It’s a tall order.

“[The competition] addresses three key principles: time, complexity and the perceptions of cricket that are out there,” Harrison said. “It is designed to do a certain job for a certain period of the season. The bottom line is that growth over the next few years is fundamentally important to us as a game.”

One of the biggest and most frequently aired frustrations is that the new tournament is simply not wanted by fans. Previously the ECB’s rebuttal to that line of argument was that it wasn’t aimed at existing fans, but at attracting new ones.

This is clearly a noble intention, with the ECB’s new plan showing 82 per cent of their 10.5m followers are men, 94 per cent are white and their average age is 50.

But weary of alienating traditionalists further, Harrison has backtracked from former ECB director of cricket Andrew Strauss’s assertion that the target audience was “mums and kids” and stated the net was being cast wide enough to fit anyone and everyone.

“The new competition is being designed to appeal to cricket fans first and foremost, but then it’s also for a broader audience,” he said.

There are certainly existing problems which need to be addressed, but is launching an entirely new competition with a slightly altered point of difference into a crowded market you already control really the answer?

Although Harrison insisted the T20 Blast “can coexist with the new competition and both can flourish” because “the market can take further growth” he must be aware of the risk that comes with putting all of your precious eggs into a single basket made of an untested material.

Further details are of course eagerly awaited. But having spent the last nine months giving the impression of making things up as they go and assiduously applying the mantra that no idea is a bad idea, the ECB is approaching crunch time.

“It’s really, really important that we demonstrate as a major sport in this country that we have the capacity to grow, the intention to grow and the ambition,” said Harrison.

The ambition is undoubtable. The intention is worthy. But the capacity is a gamble.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Cricket

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Financial gap between Hundred host counties and others widening, report warns

    Sport Business
    A male cricketer in an orange and black uniform looks concerned during a match, surrounded by other players.
  • Mega-rich Hundred franchise owners in London for start of competition

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2216312615: Business professionals collaborating in a modern office environment.
  • Inside the London workshop that made Hundred, FA Cup and World Cup trophies

    Sport Business
    Thomas Lyte designer polishing intricate gold ceremonial helmet detail with a rotary tool.
  • London is Open for Business – But Only If We Get Planning Right

    Partner
    Innovative technology concept with futuristic digital interface and glowing data visuals on a dark background
  • Not enough bums in Brum: Why so many empty seats at European Athletics Championships?

    Sport Business
    Runners from Great Britain, France, Netherlands, Germany, and Italy competing in a track event.
  • Keir Starmer wasn’t weird enough for Westminster

    Opinion
    Keir Starmer holding a football with a World Cup logo, smiling and engaging in a sports event discussion.
  • Has Nigel Farage peaked too soon?

    Opinion
    Nigel Farage delivering a speech in July 2026, wearing a suit, addressing an audience at a political event.
  • The Simon Levy case proves some criminals can never be rehabilitated

    Opinion
    Simon Levy, a man with dark hair and a beard, looking directly at the camera.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook