Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
0.00%
CAC 40
8,579.60
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 05 May 2026 10:12 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 05 May 2026 3:20 pm

Intertek shares rocket as Swedish private equity firm hikes bid for the company

By: Maisie Grice

Investment Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
London skyline with iconic insurance buildings under clear sky reflecting the citys financial and business hub atmosphere
Rathbones is dealing with the fallout of the FCA probe

Shares in laboratory testing company Intertek rocketed in morning trading on Tuesday after Swedish private equity firm EQT launched a fresh £8.9bn bid for the company.

The stock jumped 7.4 per cent to £51.61p, with shares up 13.3 per cent since the start of the year, after the Swedish firm proposed its third offer to acquire the FTSE 100 company.

The offer would see Intertek shareholders receive £58 in cash for each of their shares, representing a 54 per cent premium to the closing share price of £37.70 on 9 April.

This is up from its prior offer of £54 per share and initial offer of £51.50, both of which were rejected by Intertek, who said they “fundamentally undervalue Intertek and its future prospects”.

Intertek confirmed it had received a “further unsolicited, indicative and conditional revised proposal” from the firm which it was reviewing with advisers.

EQT has until 14 May to become a firm offer for Intertek otherwise it must wait six more months to do so.

EQT proposal

EQT said the offer delivers “certain and accelerated cash value” for shareholders, “superior to the range of outcomes” that come from Intertek’s standalone prospects.

Read more

Easyjet agrees to £5.7bn Apollo takeover

EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates

Intertek said: “EQT is price disciplined and has submitted this significantly higher further increased proposal with a view to securing prompt and constructive engagement from the Board of Intertek and progressing swiftly towards a transaction in the interests of all stakeholders.”

But Intertek confirmed that there is no certainty that an agreement will be reached, and last month launched a strategic review which included a potential break-up of the business into two separate divisions.

Dan Coatsworth, head of markets at AJ Bell said: “The value overseas buyers see in the London market is in evidence again as quality assurance firm Intertek faces a higher takeover offer from Swedish private equity outfit EQT. 

“The £58 per share cash offer may look attractive to investors. However, this is below the all-time highs for the shares and if a deal gets over the line, it will further diminish the breadth and depth of UK plc.”

EQT eyes London

EQT is aggressively expanding its portfolio with UK-based companies beyond hunting Intertek, agreeing to acquire global secondaries specialist Coller Capital in January for £2.7bn.

EQT’s chief executive, Per Franzen, called the deal “an important step”.

Its Active Core Infrastructure fund also agreed to acquire a 42 per cent stake in the parent company of Yorkshire Water in March, and in 2025 an EQT led-consortium completed the acquisition of international private school operator Nord Anglia Educations in a deal valued at £1.1bn.

Read more

Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

People & Organisations

  • EQT Partners
  • ftse 100
  • Intertek
  • UK economy
  • Yorkshire Water

Related Topics

  • Company
  • FTSE 100
  • Private equity
  • Private markets

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Easyjet agrees to £5.7bn Apollo takeover

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • Private equity firms eye valuation gap as City falls to takeovers

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 could face trouble as banks suffer from bond market turmoil.
  • Finsbury lines up Games Workshop splurge using merger windfall

    Investing
    Games Workshop worked its way into the FTSE 100 last year.
  • Takeovers aren’t the reason the London Stock Exchange is shrinking

    Opinion
    Canada skyline featuring iconic skyscrapers and modern architecture against a clear blue sky
  • ‘We are going to run out’: Mitie marks eleventh mega takeover of 2026

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 enjoyed a 3-year record rally in the third quarter.
  • If Burnham wants growth he’ll have to save the City

    Business
    London Stock Exchange building exterior on a busy trading day with bustling city atmosphere and iconic architecture
  • Top Tory slams ‘ivory tower’ financial regulators as takeover bids blight London Stock Exchange

    Markets
    Shadow business secretary Andrew Griffith has said he would make it easier for small businesses to open bank accounts. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook