Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
0.00%
CAC 40
8,579.60
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 28 January 2020 12:34 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 28 January 2020 5:21 pm

Investors in Neil Woodford’s frozen flagship fund get first payout

By: Anna Menin

Add as a preferred source on Google
Neil Woodford, former star fund manager, has been forced to suspend his flagship fund
Disgraced fund manager Neil Woodford

Hundreds of thousands of investors trapped in the flagship fund of disgraced stockpicker Neil Woodford are facing steep losses, as details emerge of the first payout since the fund was gated in June. 

Initial payments of between 46.3p and 58.9p per share will be made to investors, administrator Link Fund Solutions said in an update this morning. 

Read more: Woodford fund investors face payment delay

This represents 74 per cent of the current fund value of the Woodford Equity Income Fund, now known as the LF Equity Income Fund, and is the result of the offloading of the most liquid — and therefore easiest to sell — holdings. 

The fund was suspended in June after it became overwhelmed by investor withdrawal requests, sparking the investment industry’s biggest crisis in years. 

The scandal eventually led Woodford to shutter his business in October, after Link decided to fire him as the fund’s manager and liquidate its holdings. 

Get the news as it happens by following Morning Wire on Twitter

Read more

First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for Certain Sub-Funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

The fund’s value had declined steadily in the months leading up to its suspension on 3 June, and its value has declined 19.8 per cent since it was gated. By contrast, the FTSE All-Share benchmark gained 7.2 per cent in the same period. 

Link officially began the process of winding up the fund earlier this month. Blackrock was charged with selling off its liquid assets, while Park Hill is responsible for disposing off the fund’s illiquid holdings — a process that is expected to take much longer. 

Link said investors can expect the first repayment to reach their accounts on 30 January.

AJ Bell head of active portfolios Ryan Hughes told Morning Wire the repayment was “the start of closure for investors”, but added: “since the fund has been suspended, it’s also been falling in value, so it’s not like it’s putting them back in the position they were in before”.

Read more: Neil Woodford and partner bagged £13.8m in year before empire collapsed

“The remainder is tied up in the illiquid assets, which are still going to take considerably longer to sell,” said Hughes. 

“Selling the liquid holdings was the easy bit. For Park Hill, it is a hugely challenging task to sell the illiquid holdings in a timely fashion and investors still remain in the dark as to how long they will have to wait for the remainder of their money, and importantly, how much they are actually likely to get back.”

Read more

UK investors turn to bonds as equities valuations continue to stretch

Traders analyzing data on screens at London Stock Exchange, showcasing investment trends and market activity

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Jobs and Money

Categories

  • Investing

Related Topics

  • Asset management
  • Neil Woodford

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for Certain Sub-Funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

    Business Wire
  • UK investors turn to bonds as equities valuations continue to stretch

    Markets
    Traders analyzing data on screens at London Stock Exchange, showcasing investment trends and market activity
  • ROYC Selected by Slättö as Structuring and Platform Solution for Luxembourg Feeder Fund

    Business Wire
  • Wind Point Partners Announces Final Close of Oversubscribed Fund XI at $3.2 Billion

    Business Wire
  • First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for certain sub-funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

    Business Wire
  • Swiss Pension Funds Increase Commitments to Record Infrastructure Equity Fund to EUR 1.23 Billion

    Business Wire
  • Bregal Milestone III Closes at its Increased Hard Cap of €915 Million

    Business Wire
  • Francisco Partners Closes $21 Billion Across Flagship and Agility Funds

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook