Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 19 October 2021 6:01 pm  |  Updated:  Wednesday 20 October 2021 12:13 pm

Morrisons shareholders give seal of approval to $10bn CD&R takeover deal

By: Amy O'Brien

Add as a preferred source on Google
morrisons
MPs worry a private equity takeover of the business could see major job losses.

Shareholders in Morrisons have voted to approve a £7bn ($9.7bn) takeover bid from US private equity firm Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, in the official end to a long and heated takeover battle.

British supermarket Morrisons said the required majority of three quarters of its shareholders backed the deal at a hybrid in-person and virtual investor meeting this afternoon.

CD&R came out on top at auction for Morrisons with a bid of £7bn or 287 pence per share for the supermarket earlier this month – just a penny above the 286 pence offered by a consortium led by SoftBank-owned Fortress Investment.

Including debt, CD&R’s bid for the UK’s fourth-largest supermarket represented an enterprise value of £9.95bn.

Morrisons chair Andrew Higginson said: “We thank shareholders for the strong support received at today’s meetings.

“We remain confident that CD&R will be a responsible, thoughtful and careful owner of Morrisons and we will now move forward with the remaining steps in the acquisition process.”

Sir Terry Leahy, CD&R’s senior adviser and former Tesco boss, has been tipped to be appointed as the new chair of Morrisons.

Reacting to the shareholder approval, he said CD&R was “excited at the opportunity that lies ahead.”

Read more

Sainsbury’s to sell Argos in £120m cut-price deal

Sainsburys supermarket entrance with prominent Argos and Lloyds Pharmacy signs, reflecting the companys acquisitions.

“The particular heritage, culture and operating model of Morrisons are key features of the company and we will be very mindful of these during our tenure as owners,” Leahy said.

He added that the private equity group wanted “not just to preserve the company’s many strengths – but to build on these, with innovation, capital and new technology – helping the business realise its full potential and delivering for all of its stakeholders.”

It marks the end of a long, heated battle for the UK’s fourth largest supermarket that began back in June when US private equity group CD&R first made an unsolicited offer of 230 pence per share.

After Morrisons rejected this offer, a trio of private investment groups led by SoftBank-owned Fortress entered the equation with a rival offer of £6.3bn in July.

But shareholders felt this offer was too low, and Fortress made a comeback with an increased offer of £6.7bn in August, which the grocer’s board accepted.

Fortress’ pole position didn’t last long, however, as CD&R returned with a fresh increased bid of £7bn at the end of August, leading to Morrisons’ board withdrawing their support for Fortress and unanimously accepting the original bidder’s.

In order to resolve the competition, the stock market’s Takeover Panel said earlier this month that it would run a bidding process of up to five rounds because neither CD&R or the Fortress consortium that had been vying for the grocer since June had declared their offers final – in which CD&R came out on top.

New York-based firm CD&R is one of the most firmly established investors in the sector and has been advised by former Tesco chief Sir Terry Leahy over the past 10 years.

Read more

FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Morrison (Wm) Supermarkets
  • Private equity

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Sainsbury’s to sell Argos in £120m cut-price deal

    Retail
    Sainsburys supermarket entrance with prominent Argos and Lloyds Pharmacy signs, reflecting the companys acquisitions.
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Easyjet agrees to £5.7bn Apollo takeover

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Could a ‘land blocking’ rule change spell danger for Aldi and Lidl?

    Retail
    Lidl supermarket sign with blue, yellow, and red logo against a clear blue sky
  • Hugo Boss urges investors to reject £1.7bn bid from Mike Ashley’s Frasers

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • FTSE 100 Segro ‘minded to accept’ £14bn Prologis takeover

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook