Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 31 August 2023 12:47 pm

M&S launches legal challenge after Gove blocks Oxford Street store revamp

By: Laura McGuire

Add as a preferred source on Google
General View Of Marks & Spencer Store On Oxford Street
The capital’s premier index edged 0.14 per cent lower to 7,296.25 points, while the domestically-focused mid-capo FTSE 250 index, which is more aligned with the health of the UK economy, dropped 0.26 per cent to 18,649 (Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images)

Marks and Spencer has launched a legal challenge against the government’s decision to reject the supermarket’s plan to revamp its Marble Arch store.

The high street stalwart has accused Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, Michael Gove, of unfairly applying planning policy to block the redesign of its flagship store.  

“We have done this because we believe the Secretary of State wrongly interpreted and applied planning policy, to justify his rejection of our scheme on grounds of heritage and environmental concerns,” Sacha Berendji, operations director at M&S, said today. 

“It is hugely disappointing that after two years of support and approvals at every stage, we have been forced to take legal action to overcome a misguided agenda against our scheme, and we will be challenging this to the fullest extent possible,” she added.

M&S had previously received a green light from Westminster City Council to tear down its Marble Arch store and replace it with a shop featuring a cafe, offices and a gym. 

However, the move received pushback from campaigners, prompting Gove to launch an inquiry. 

Gove said the public benefits did not outweigh the damage that would be done to landmarks on the street, including luxury department store Selfridges. M&S’s failure to use existing buildings was also cited as a reason for the rejection. 

At the time, M&S chief Stuart Machin described the decision as “utterly pathetic,” and said the refusal left the retailer with “no choice but to review its future position on Oxford Street”. 

Morning Wire has contacted the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities for comment.

Read more

John Lewis’ new boss faces a battle to boost online sales

John Lewis & Partners department store building exterior with logo signage against a blue sky

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Retail
  • Morning Wire Content

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • John Lewis’ new boss faces a battle to boost online sales

    Retail
    John Lewis & Partners department store building exterior with logo signage against a blue sky
  • City watchdog suspends parts of £9bn motor finance scheme after industry backlash

    Banking
    The FCA has appointed Liam Coleman interim chair of the FOS.
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • Motor finance war of words heats up as City watchdog blasts law firm’s motives

    Legal
    The FCA has introduced new proposals to close the financial advice gap.
  • Richard Desmond puts £1bn Westferry development up for sale

    Property
    Richard Desmond's legal battle against Gambling Commission opened at High Court. Photo by Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • Housebuilders urge Rayner to ‘hit the ground running’ and rip up planning red tape

    Property
    Angela Rayner, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, smiling in glasses at an event with camera crew and lighting
  • China’s mega London embassy to go ahead after High Court blocks challenge

    Politics
    Protesters hold signs saying STOP Chinese Secret Policing in the UK and Safeguard National Security
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook