Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
0.00%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 01 April 2021 11:22 am  |  Updated:  Thursday 01 April 2021 11:23 am

Next pauses Myanmar production after year of strong online sales

By: Angharad Carrick

Add as a preferred source on Google

Next has paused its production orders from Myanmar, it’s boss said today, as the military coup grows more deadly.

“We’re not placing any more orders at the moment, that is a big step,” CEO Simon Wolfson told Reuters.

“Most of the stock that we were sourcing from Myanmar…we have alternatives in place already for that stock in other countries.”

Less than five per cent of its stock was provided by Myanmar, the CEO added.

Online sales

The British retailer has managed to weather the pandemic storm after expanding its online presence with sales now accounting for nearly half of turnover. 

Next said online sales had been stronger than expected in the first eight weeks of the year and are up 60 per cent on two years ago. As a result Next is raising its central profit guidance by £30m to £700m. 

Richard Hunter, head of markets at Interactive Investor said: “Next is often an unsung hero among investors, but these results again show the resilience and the openness in the way the company operates.”

Next said it had widened its online customer base by 40 per cent to 8.4m last year with online sales accounting for nearly half of turnover. 

Read more

Jacob Parsons Appointed Global CEO of Indicium AI

“Looking ahead, there is more uncertainty than ever – the consumer economy, future lockdowns and more,” chief executive Simon Wolfson said. “But there is one thing about which we are sure: our business will emerge from the pandemic better placed to meet the challenges and opportunities of the online era than it was at this time last year.” 

Shares in Next are up 3.4 per cent.

Brand full price sales in the year were down 15 per cent on the previous year and total sales fell 17  per cent. Profit before tax came in at £342m, in line with January’s trading update. 

Next said it would not pay a final dividend for the year “given the continuing uncertainty” after suspending payouts last April. 

“Rather than proposing a dividend at this time, the directors consider it sensible to wait and see how the business performs once the current lockdown comes to an end and COVID restrictions are lifted,” Wolfson said.

Even as stores remained shut for the majority of the year Next reduced its net debt by £502m to £610m. It said it expects to generate £175m of surplus cash which would further reduce net debt to £435m. 

“As a destination people want to visit, Next is likely to be among the biggest beneficiaries as the economy re-opens; but its growing online business, integrated logistics offering, and add-ins like its Total Platform service for other brands give it a strong anchor in the online economy,” John Moore, senior investment manager at Brewin Dolphin said.

Read more

Conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East boost Cohort’s order book

UK defence strategy meeting, officials discussing military advancements and security measures in a conference room setting

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Retail

Related Topics

  • Myanmar
  • Next
  • Next Plc

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Jacob Parsons Appointed Global CEO of Indicium AI

    Business Wire
  • Conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East boost Cohort’s order book

    Investing
    UK defence strategy meeting, officials discussing military advancements and security measures in a conference room setting
  • British brewery drafts plan to join Pisces platform

    Markets
    King Charles III pulls a pint at Wadworth Brewery with brewery staff, showcasing beer taps.
  • Metapack® Named OneStock’s Strategic Delivery Management Partner

    Business Wire
  • Halon Begins Next Chapter as an Independent Creative Production Company

    Business Wire
  • South Korea is the canary in the coalmine of the AI boom

    Opinion
    Skyline of Seoul, South Korea featuring modern skyscrapers and traditional architecture under a clear blue sky
  • Options Announces CIX Trading, Canada’s Newest Alternative Trading System (ATS)

    Business Wire
  • The London Stock Exchange is shrinking – but Julia Hoggett is still an optimist

    Markets
    Julia Hoggett, London Stock Exchange CEO, in a magenta suit leaning on a dark railing.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook