Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
+0.53%
CAC 40
8,636.80
-0.16%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
-0.09%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 20 February 2024 2:33 pm

Glencore-backed nickel miner’s shares Horizonte Minerals crash 62 per cent on project warning

By: Rhodri Morgan

Add as a preferred source on Google
Commodities like Nickel continue to face an uncertain 2024 as geopolitical and climate risks continue to grow
Commodities like Nickel continue to face an uncertain 2024 as geopolitical and climate risks continue to grow

Shares in AIM-listed nickel miner Horizonte Minerals, which is backed by sector giant Glencore have plummeted today after the company said it will require nearly 90 per cent more funding than expected to complete its flagship mining project.

Horizonte Minerals saw its share price fall 87 per cent to 3.21p after the company yesterday said the Araguaia mine in Brazil would cost $1bn (£791m) to complete against the initial $537m (£434m) projected.

The company’s interim chief executive Kasim Masr said that despite the massive cost-to-complete rise, the project is “now built on solid methodologies,” but that the firm still needs to find the money to complete the contract, an endeavour that has “no guarantee of success.”

This isn’t the first time Horizonte has issued a warning about the project.

In October last year, the stock plunged 87 per cent when the group revised cost estimates higher on the mine by 35 per cent and pushed back initial production until the third quarter of 2024.

After the latest delay, the company is now targeting 2026 as the earliest production date.

The company also announced today that Graham Crew will replace Maryse Bélanger as interim chief operating officer.

The news is a big blow to the company’s second-largest shareholder, mining giant Glencore, which has already experienced its fair share of nickel woes in recent weeks.

The Swiss multinational has built up a 17.7 per cent stake in the firm and it has already trimmed its own nickel production guidance this year.

Glencore is set to report its annual results tomorrow.

Read more

Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Energy

People & Organisations

  • Glencore

Trending Articles

  • Jobs market ‘stops moving’ as employment costs weigh on hirers

  • House prices suffer biggest August slump in eight years 

  • Back bookshops in bid to rebuild high streets, Burnham urged

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Reform pledges £50bn savings in ‘generational’ benefits shake-up

More from Morning Wire

  • Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

    Mining
    Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.
  • Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

    Mining
    Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.
  • IFF Announces Agreement to Sell Its Portfolio of Botanical Extracts, Vitamins & Minerals and Food Enhancement Activities to SuanNutra, a Portfolio Company of Carbyne Equity Partners.

    Business Wire
  • How to cut the cost of your holiday this summer with Complete Savings

    Partner
    UK CompleteSavings program highlights customer rewards and benefits in a visually engaging presentation.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as Antofagasta prompts miner sell-off; oil prices cool

    FTSE 100 Live
    Glencore floated on the London Stock Exchange in 2011 and is one of the largest members of the FTSE 100.
  • Result of AngloGold Ashanti plc’s General Meeting

    Business Wire
  • As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
  • Motsepe backed to succeed Fifa’s Infantino by South African minister

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2282672294 depicts a significant event related to the articles context, showcasing key elements and atmosphere.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook