Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,716.93
-0.10%
DAX
26,112.89
-0.06%
CAC 40
8,543.93
+0.41%
STOXX 50
6,477.53
+0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 17 March 2022 5:06 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 22 March 2022 6:55 pm

North Sea round-up: Harbour Energy announces cash bonanza while Shell keeps Cambo stake

By: Nicholas Earl

Add as a preferred source on Google
More than a third of the remaining oil in the North Sea basin may never be extracted if prices do not improve, a new study has warned.

Harbour Energy (Harbour), the biggest oil and gas producer in the UK North Sea, has revealed it should generate up to $1.7bn (£1.29bn) in spare cash this year – if prices remain high.

Shares in the FTSE 250 company are up 4.34 per cent at close of play, after Harbour unveiled a sharp swing to profit driven by rapid revenue growth and lower impairment charges.

The oil and gas firm – formed last year from a merger of Premier Oil PLC and Chrysaor Holdings – posted a pretax profit of $315m in its latest full-year results, a sharp turnaround from its $978m in 2020.

Harbour’s success has been driven by a 48 per cent increase in revenue to $3.62bn from $2.44bn – powered by higher realised gas prices and increased production volumes for both liquids and gas.

Meanwhile, impairment charges were down from $644m to $117m – mostly concerning property, plants and equipment.

Over the year, it has reported successful domestic drilling at multiple sites including J-Area, Elgin Franklin and AELE, Beryl.

Looking ahead, Harbour Energy expects production for 2022 to come between 195,000 and 210,000 barrels per day, reflecting a 10-20 per cent rise from 2021.

Chief Executive Linda Cook said: “With our scale, our commitment to producing safely and responsibly, our robust balance sheet and track record of successful M&A, I believe we are well placed to deliver value creation, growth and shareholder returns,” said

Harbour has also declared a dividend of 11 cents per share, having paid out nothing in 2020.

Its rebounding success has prompted Ed Miliband, Labour’s shadow climate change secretary, to renew calls for a windfall tax.

He argued this was “more evidence of soaring profits in the oil and gas sector as families are hit by massive price rises” and “more evidence of why we need a windfall tax: the right and fair choice”.

Read more

Burnham to approve North Sea oil and gas drilling in policy blitz

North Sea oil terminal with storage tanks and docking facilities under a clear sky, highlighting energy infrastructure.

Amid the current energy crisis which has seen oil and gas prices spike, Labour has pushed for a one-off £1.2bn windfall tax on fossil fuel firms operating in the North Sea.

This would be paid by a year-long 10 per cent hike in corporation tax, as part of a wider £6.6bn proposal to shave £200 off household energy bills.

BP and Shell faced similar calls from the opposition earlier this year, when both energy giants unveiled bumper profits and big paydays for their stakeholders.

Never say never: Cambo might benefit from government’s North Sea embrace

Cambo could be dealt a reprieve, with Downing Street reviving its interest in North Sea oil and gas developments following the deepening energy crisis and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng has called for further North Sea oil and gas exploration, while Prime Minister Boris Johnson has held a roundtable with energy leaders to discuss options to speed up domestic developments.

Shell revealed in its annual report last week that it is still working with Siccar Point Energy and the UK Government to “map out the next steps” of the Cambo project – which could provide up to 800m barrels of oil.

It said: “Shell continues to work with its co-venturer and the UK government to map out the next steps on Cambo.”

When Shell pulled out last December, it said the economic case for Cambo was “not strong enough”.

The operator, Siccar Point Energy – which holds the remaining 70 per cent stake – then pressed pause on the entire project.

This was considered a huge setback for the project, and domestic exploration, but Shell has since kept hold of its 30 per cent stake in the project – even with the licence set to expire later this month.

This has raised the prospect of its licence being extended by the Oil and Gas Authority.

Read more

Britain should back the North Sea if it wants energy security and net zero

Oil prices have risen as Israel and Iran tensions escalated.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking

Related Topics

  • Energy
  • gas crisis

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • Burnham to approve North Sea oil and gas drilling in policy blitz

    Politics
    North Sea oil terminal with storage tanks and docking facilities under a clear sky, highlighting energy infrastructure.
  • Britain should back the North Sea if it wants energy security and net zero

    Opinion
    Oil prices have risen as Israel and Iran tensions escalated.
  • BP quits North Sea after tax grab

    Energy
    North Sea oil terminal with storage tanks and docking facilities under a clear sky, highlighting energy infrastructure.
  • North Sea is not competitive, says BP boss days after exit

    Markets
    British Petroleum BP forecourt with fuel pumps and company signage visible in a business setting, highlighting energy serv...
  • What Burnham could learn from BP’s pragmatism

    Energy
    BP logo and green lettering on a light background.
  • Making Miliband chancellor would be a ‘mistake’, Trump officials warn

    Politics
    Donald Trump speaking at April event, wearing a suit and tie, with an expressive gesture and a serious facial expression
  • Europe has made a ‘major mistake’ on slow electrification, IEA chief warns 

    Energy
    UK industrial electricity prices are the highest in the G7 and 46 per cent above the average of the International Energy Agency.
  • Kolibri Global Energy Inc. Announces Another Record for Its Highest Quarterly Revenue of $22.5 Million With a 46% Production Increase and a 197% Net Income Increase for the Second Quarter of 2026

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook