Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 21 October 2020 12:39 pm  |  Updated:  Wednesday 28 April 2021 12:25 pm

Number of Tube journeys rises again ahead of Tier 2 restrictions

By: Edward Thicknesse

Add as a preferred source on Google

The number of Tube journeys rose again last week despite the announcement of harsher restrictions on the capital, new data from Transport for London (TfL) has shown.

Although London was moved into Tier 2 restrictions from midnight on Friday, there was no sign of a drop off in travel ahead of the new coronavirus limitations coming into effect.

In total, there were 1.61m Tube journeys on 16 October, around 50,000 more than were recorded the prior week.

That means that Tube numbers now stand at around 40 per cent of pre-pandemic levels.

The rise was reflected in stations across the Square Mile, which saw a total of 220,000 taps in and out last Friday, up 10,000 on the week before.

Banking district Canary Wharf recorded over 2,000 more entries and exits on Friday than it had the week before, as did Bank.

The figures show that in the month since Boris Johnson abruptly u-turned on the government’s back to work push and told staff to work from home where possible, more and more people have continued to use public transport.

The same increase was recorded on bus journeys, with 3.8m trips taken last week, roughly 60 per cent of levels in February and March.

The new figures come as it was revealed that the government had threatened to hike council tax for Londoners to pay for a new bailout of TfL.

The transport operator has been given two weeks of additional funding while negotiations continue, but mayor Sadiq Khan has said that he will not accept the demands.

In addition, these would see an end to all concessionary travel and the extension of the congestion charge zone to the North and South Circular.

Read more

Which is the smelliest Tube line?

Passenger wearing a blue surgical mask and coat on a London Underground train.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Future of Work
  • Transport for London

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • Which is the smelliest Tube line?

    Opinion
    Passenger wearing a blue surgical mask and coat on a London Underground train.
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Scotland is a warning of what Andy Burnham’s devolution experiment will look like

    Opinion
    Former SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon has said results for the SNP, now led by John Swinney, were worse than expected in the exit poll
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • UK government backs British business to get slice of £33bn in Morocco World Cup contracts

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed on a modern digital screen, representing media and stock photography in a business context.
  • LegadoSign Selected by Aberdeen Adviser to Power Secure Digital Onboarding at Scale

    Business Wire
  • Point2 Completes $136M Series B Funding with Arm, LB Investment, and Maverick Silicon

    Business Wire
  • Kids aren’t using VPNs to watch porn and skirt social media bans, VPN firms say

    Tech
    Work and Pensions Secretary Liz Kendall is in charge of reforming the state pension and benefits system
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook