Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 24 April 2023 1:23 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 24 April 2023 3:56 pm

Prezzo shuts 46 branches including four in London as 810 jobs put at risk

By: Laura McGuire

Add as a preferred source on Google
frp advisory
FRP advised Italian restaurant chain Prezzo on its sale to Cain International

Prezzo will shut 46 loss making sites across the UK including three in London and place 810 workers at risk of redundancy, as soaring energy and a hike in food costs rattle the business. 

The Italian restaurant chain, which is owned by private equity firm Cain International said that the closures will impact sites where “the post-Covid recovery has proved harder than we had hoped”.

The strategy will reduce its portfolio to 97 sites across the UK and Ireland and a workforce of around 2,000. 

The four London branches are Chingford, Eltham, Mill Hill and Woodford Green.

As soaring inflation continues to impact the hospitality sector, Prezzo reported a 40 per cent increase in the cost of spaghetti, 28 per cent rise for pizza sauce and 15 per cent  increase in the cost of its dough balls.

Prezzo hit hard by the pandemic

Dean Challenger, chief executive of Prezzo, said the last three years have been some of the “hardest times” he has ever seen for the UK high street. 

“The reality is that the cost-of-living crisis, the changing face of the high street and soaring inflation has made it impossible to keep all our restaurants operating profitably,” he explained. 

Read more

Allegion to Attend 2026 Mizuho Industrials & Chemicals Conference

He added: “We believe the tough decisions we are making today will ensure Prezzo can continue serving communities with high-quality, accessible Italian-inspired meals for many more years to come.”

In 2020, the hospitality group collapsed into administration due to the pandemic, however it was then rescued by current private equity owners Cain International.

Moreover, the fresh closure plan comes two years after the group previously shut 22 restaurants and slashed 216 jobs.

Tom Pringle, joint head of restructuring at the law firm, Gowling WLG, said: “This is a clear example of the economic fall-out of prolonged high inflation. Huge rises in the costs of energy and food are eroding trading margins, and simultaneously making it difficult to pass these costs on to customers who are seeing the same pressures at home.

“While the expected redundancies are regrettable, hopefully Prezzo has acted prudently and early enough to avoid a more serious crisis.”

He added: “The chain still maintains a significant portfolio of outlets as well as a supply chain network that can service these, but others in the sector are not starting from as strong a position and may find that more drastic action is necessary.”

Read more

Back to basics: Sainsbury’s gradual retreat from the British high street

Sainsbury’s Cobham. Credit: David Parry/PA Media Assignments.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Retail
  • Business
  • Food

Related Topics

  • Cost of living crisis
  • Prezzo

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Allegion to Attend 2026 Mizuho Industrials & Chemicals Conference

    Business Wire
  • Back to basics: Sainsbury’s gradual retreat from the British high street

    Retail
    Sainsbury’s Cobham. Credit: David Parry/PA Media Assignments.
  • Cricket Betting Sites 2026 – Best Cricket Betting Sites UK

    Betting
    Cricket enthusiasts engaging with top online betting platforms, showcasing user-friendly interfaces and live match updates.
  • Bingo halls at risk if Burnham hikes taxes, Mecca Bingo owner warns

    Hospitality
    Smiling female receptionist with glasses handing a card to a customer at a bright reception desk.
  • Four South Korean whiskies to try today

    Whisky
    Rainy night street in Seoul, South Korea, with neon signs, storefronts, and people with umbrellas
  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

    Retail
    Redhead woman excitedly biting into a piece of KFC fried chicken dipped in green sauce.
  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

    Retail
    Green Instacart shopping cart outside a modern Morrisons supermarket entrance with large glass windows
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook