Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.08
+0.28%
DAX
26,244.28
-0.36%
CAC 40
8,544.64
-0.41%
STOXX 50
6,502.22
-0.43%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 22 November 2023 8:28 am  |  Updated:  Wednesday 22 November 2023 8:31 am

Rio Tinto agrees on £22m SEC fraud fine after six-year legal battle

By: Rhodri Morgan

Add as a preferred source on Google
Glencore floated on the London Stock Exchange in 2011 and is one of the largest members of the FTSE 100.

Rio Tinto has reached a $28m (£22m) settlement agreement with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) after a six-year legal battle over purported executive fraud.

The suit claimed that the company, its former chief executive Thomas Albanese and its former chief financial officer Guy Elliott inflated the value of coal assets in Mozambique in financial reporting.

In 2011, the world’s largest iron ore miner acquired $3.7bn (£2.9b) of coal assets in Mozambique shortly after disclosing huge losses associated with its previous large-scale acquisition of Alcan.

Shortly after learning that the coal quality and quantity were much lower than expected, the SEC said the named executives concealed the “adverse developments” and released misleading financial statements.

The company subsequently raised $5.5bn (£4.3b) from US investors, approximately $3bn of which was raised after May 2012, when executives at Rio Tinto Coal Mozambique had already told Albanese and Elliott that the subsidiary was likely worth negative $680m (£542m).

Rio Tinto announced it will pay the fine, “without admitting to or denying the SEC’s allegations”. Additionally, Former chief executive Tom Albanese will also pay a US$50,000 — nearly £40,000 — fine individually.

The announcement comes just two months after the UK’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO) announced it was closing its long-running corruption investigations into Rio Tinto.

In August, the company posted profits of £4.4bn for the first six months of trading this year, falling more than a third from the £6.7bn bumper figure posted 12 months prior.

The company is now focused on ramping its operations up to pre-pandemic levels, as shipments and production for iron ore are up four and five per cent respectively over the first nine months of trading this year.

Read more

Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Legal Notices

Related Topics

  • Rio Tinto

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

    Mining
    Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.
  • Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

    Mining
    Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.
  • Luxfer Enters Into Agreement to Be Acquired for $17.37 Per Share in All-Cash Transaction

    Business Wire
  • Logitech Announces Q1 Fiscal Year 2027 Results

    Business Wire
  • Barclays in legal battle with MFS administrators over part of £160m holding

    Banking
    Barclays bank exterior with logo as it announces mortgage rate cuts amidst upcoming interest rate decision.
  • Luxfer Enters Into Agreement to Be Acquired for $17.37 Per Share in All-Cash Transaction; Reports Second Quarter Results

    Business Wire
  • Former Virgin Money chief set to lead Financial Reporting Council

    Accountancy
    Military legal drama JAG 2 courtroom scene with actors in navy uniforms discussing a high-profile case
  • Battersea Power Station misreporting claims scrutinised by accounting watchdog

    Accountancy
    Breaking news scene with reporters, cameras, and microphones at a bustling press conference, spotlight on speaker podium
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook