Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,766.16
+0.17%
DAX
25,982.14
0.00%
CAC 40
8,452.38
-0.01%
STOXX 50
6,438.79
+0.26%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 25 January 2024 8:07 am

Rio Tinto chief ‘numb’ as mining giant confirms four among plane crash dead

By: Jack Mendel

Add as a preferred source on Google
Operations Inside The Rio Tinto Diavik Diamond Mine As Foxfire Hits Auction Block
In a statement issued this morning, the company said: "Another member of our Diavik team survived the crash and received treatment in hospital." Photographer: Ben Nelms/Bloomberg via Getty Images

London-listed mining giant Rio Tinto has confirmed a number of its workers were on board a plane which crashed, killing six in total.

The company issued a statement this morning saying four members of its Diavik diamond mining team were amongst the dead, alongside two airline crew members.

This comes after a plane crashed yesterday, travelling to the company’s Diavik diamond mine near the town of Fort Smith in Canada.

In a statement issued this morning, the company said: “Another member of our Diavik team survived the crash and received treatment in hospital.”

Rio Tinto Chief Executive Jakob Stausholm added: “We are feeling numb with the devastating news that we have lost dear friends and colleagues.

“I extend our deepest sympathy to the families, friends, and loved ones of those who have been affected by this tragedy. I am heading to the Northwest Territories to be with our team and to offer our full support.

“We will be working closely with authorities over the coming days, weeks and months, to support their efforts to understand the full facts of what has happened.”

Yesterday following the incident, Stausholm said the company was “absolutely devastated”.

The tragic news hits a company already beleaguered by employee accidents across its operations, which included two permanent disabling injuries in 2023.

Rio Tinto said last week it remained in a “chronic state of unease” about safety across its mining operations.

Read more

Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Rio Tinto

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

    Mining
    Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.
  • Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

    Mining
    Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as Antofagasta prompts miner sell-off; oil prices cool

    FTSE 100 Live
    Glencore floated on the London Stock Exchange in 2011 and is one of the largest members of the FTSE 100.
  • As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
  • As it happened: Stocks reach all-time high; US fires back at ‘surprise’ Iran attacks

    Markets
    LSEG logo on a large screen within a modern building displaying stock market data and world indices
  • FCA charges City lawyer with insider dealing over maternity brand acquisition

    Legal
    The FCA said in June any scheme must keep the market afloat in order to curb rising costs for consumers.
  • Easyjet proves too tempting a bargain for gatecrasher Apollo

    Analysis
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • AngloGold Ashanti Q2 30 June 2026 Earnings Release and Dividend Declaration

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook