Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 22 March 2022 8:12 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 22 March 2022 7:50 pm

Shell reconsiders decision to pull out of Cambo oilfield amid rising oil prices

By: Michiel Willems and Nicholas Earl

Add as a preferred source on Google

Shell is reportedly reconsidering its decision to pull out of the controversial Cambo oilfield, after escalating conflict in Ukraine sent energy prices soaring this month.

The energy giant had a 30 per cent stake in the project, with remaining 70 per cent being held by operator Siccar Point Energy.

 Both parties had hoped the Cambo project could provide up to 800m barrels of oil.

However, work on the proposed development off the west coast of Shetland was paused in December after Shell decided to withdraw from the project, deciding the economic case for investment was “not strong enough”.

Since then, the price of oil has since soared above $100 per barrel, amid fears of supply shortages with the West ramping up sanctions on Russia.

Oil prices have spiked in recent months amid increased geopolitical uncertainty (Source: OilPrice.com)

This has included the UK committing to phasing out Russia oil over the course of the year, while the US has announced an immediate ban on Kremlin-backed fossil fuels.

Shell revealed in its annual report earlier this month that it is still working with Siccar Point Energy and the UK Government to “map out the next steps” of the Cambo project.

Sources told the BBC that although the company’s official position remains the same, it recognised the “economic, political and regulatory environment had changed enormously” in the past three months.

Government warms up to North Sea fossil fuels

Meanwhile, the government’s outlook on domestic fossil fuels has continued to evolve as it seeks to ensure secure energy supplies.

Read more

Trump suspends strikes amid new peace hopes

Donald Trump speaking at press conference podium, addressing media with serious expression, American flags in background

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to announce the UK’s energy strategy this month, which will emphasise the importance of boosting domestic projects.

Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng has called for further North Sea oil and gas exploration, while Johnson held a roundtable with fossil fuel leaders last week to discuss options to speed up new developments.

Shell has operated in the North Sea for decades and accounts for around 10 per cent of the UK’s oil and gas production. 

Environmental groups have long opposed the oil field, warning it would jeopardise hundreds of species in the ocean, while also raising questions over its potential benefits.

The UK must back North Sea oil and gas while we transition to cheap, clean power.

It would be complete madness to turn off our domestic source of gas in such an uncertain world.

My interview with @LiamHalligan 👇🏾 pic.twitter.com/U3qCHRdtNB

— Kwasi Kwarteng (@KwasiKwarteng) March 21, 2022

Commenting on the latest reports, Friends of the Earth energy campaigner, Danny Gross, said:  “Developing the Cambo oilfield would do nothing to reduce soaring fuel bills. As 80 per cent of the oil extracted in the UK is exported, it wouldn’t meaningfully improve our energy security either.”

Last November, Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said the project should not go ahead.

This followed months of pressure from opposition parties and campaigners for the Scottish Government to make its position on Cambo clear.

Industry body Oil and Gas UK previously said blocking long-planned energy projects like Cambo would risk leaving the UK at the mercy of global energy shortages.

Read more

Perma-Pipe Secures More Than $67 Million in New Orders in the Second Quarter of 2026

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News
  • Markets & Economics

Categories

  • Transport & Infrastructure
  • Business

Related Topics

  • Global market turmoil
  • Oil prices
  • Shell
  • UK Oil and Gas Investments
  • Ukraine

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Trump suspends strikes amid new peace hopes

    Politics
    Donald Trump speaking at press conference podium, addressing media with serious expression, American flags in background
  • Perma-Pipe Secures More Than $67 Million in New Orders in the Second Quarter of 2026

    Business Wire
  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

    FTSE 100 Live
    FTSE 100 stocks rise as Brent crude oil prices jump 1.8% to $104.98 amid Strait of Hormuz tensions and Trumps Iran stance
  • North Sea is not competitive, says BP boss days after exit

    Markets
    British Petroleum BP forecourt with fuel pumps and company signage visible in a business setting, highlighting energy serv...
  • Manufacturers overcome gloomy economy as output surge continues

    Industrials
    Manufacturing sector faces mounting tribunal pressures amid economic uncertainty
  • Britain should back the North Sea if it wants energy security and net zero

    Opinion
    Oil prices have risen as Israel and Iran tensions escalated.
  • As it happened: Stocks jittery as oil nears $90; Trump ‘semi-negotiating’ with Iran

    FTSE 100 Live
    Large oil tanker navigating a strait under a cloudy sky, impacting oil prices and global trade.
  • Oil price falls but Trump and Iran clash on negotiations claim

    Markets
    Donald Trump smiling in a blue suit and tie with an American flag pin, US flag in background
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook