Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
0.00%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 03 July 2023 2:20 pm

Roy Hodgson signs new Crystal Palace contract and targets top-half finish

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
Roy Hodgson has agreed a new contract to remain in charge of Crystal Palace for another season
Roy Hodgson has agreed a new contract to remain in charge of Crystal Palace for another season

Manager Roy Hodgson has set his Crystal Palace team the ambitious target of finishing in the top half of the Premier League after signing a new contract at Selhurst Park.

Only once in the last 30 years have Palace ended the season 10th or higher in the top flight, in 2014-15 when Alan Pardew also led them to the FA Cup final.

Hodgson steered them to 11th place last term after returning to the club in a firefighting role in March and has backed himself to improve on that in the next campaign.

“I know what a fantastic squad we have here. It’s a great blend of youth and potential, alongside experienced players with Premier League and international pedigree,” he said.

“I have spoken with the chairman at length and we agreed that we must be ambitious in getting the most out of such talent. 

“As such, we have set ourselves the target of a top-half finish, which we believe is eminently achievable with such a fabulous group of players and the most magnificent supporters who get behind the team, week in, week out.”

The former England manager, who turns 76 next month and is already the oldest in Premier League history, is believed to have signed a one-year contract at Palace. 

The Eagles considered looking elsewhere this summer after his short-term contract expired last month but chairman Steve Parish and sporting director Dougie Freedman opted to stick.

“Roy’s record as manager speaks for itself,” said Parish. “Appointing Roy for another season will enable him and the squad to hit the ground running for a full pre-season and continue the magnificent momentum that has built up since his return.”

Read more

Nottingham Forest owner Marinakis sues Crystal Palace for defamation

Evangelos Marinakis, owner of Nottingham Forest, in a dark jacket and white shirt, looking serious at a stadium.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Football
  • Premier League football

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Nottingham Forest owner Marinakis sues Crystal Palace for defamation

    Sport Business
    Evangelos Marinakis, owner of Nottingham Forest, in a dark jacket and white shirt, looking serious at a stadium.
  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
  • Crystal Palace stadium set for £130m revamp with 25,000 seats

    Sport Business
    Outdoor athletic stadium with red running track, green field, blue spectator seating, and large scoreboards.
  • Fulham sign up $15bn Silicon Valley tech and AI firm ClickHouse as front-of-shirt sponsor

    Sport Business
    No article content provided. Please provide the article content to generate relevant alt text.
  • Space X-linked Marex in £25m Nottingham Forest front-of-shirt deal

    Sport Business
    Football stadium at night with players on the pitch and a large banner reading FOR A NEW GENERATION OUR TIME HAS COME
  • Why do six Premier League clubs still not have front of shirt sponsors?

    Sport Business
    Without the article title or content, its challenging to provide specific alt text. Please provide more context or details...
  • Everton facing early termination of Stake sleeve deal as ban looms

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed on a digital screen, symbolizing media and stock photography industry presence
  • Disney+ snaps up Gary Neville’s The Overlap and new Wayne Rooney hosted show

    Sport Business
    Gary Neville, former footballer and businessman, smiling in a black suit against a dark background
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook