Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 02 September 2016 9:41 am

Samsung stops selling Galaxy Note 7 and issues recall after reports of spontaneous explosions

By: Caitlin Morrison

Add as a preferred source on Google

South Korean smartphone manufacturer Samsung is pulling its latest handset off the shelves – due to a risk of spontaneous combustion.

The product recall was prompted by reports of phone batteries exploding.

“Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue," a Samsung spokesperson said.

"To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7."

The spokesperson added that for UK customers who already have Galaxy Note7 devices, the company will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks. For more information customers need to contact the customer service team on 0330 7261000.

We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.

The Galaxy Note 7 has been launched in 10 countries so far.

The recall will come as a blow to Samsung, which has already seen $7bn (£5.3bn) knocked off its market value in the wake of the reports of phones catching fire – and could not have come at a worse time, as the group gears up to deal with new competition in the form of the latest iPhones, due to be unveiled by Apple next week.

The Note 7 was lauded as being even more advanced than the most recently available iPhones, featuring eye-scanning technology that moved a step beyond Apple's use of biometrics. The Note 7 is also waterproof to depths of five feet, has a curved screen and is compatible with a new VR headset.

"This is some major buzz-kill for Samsung, especially given all of the hard-earned excitement that products like the Note 7 have been garnering lately," IDC analyst Bryan Ma said.

"The pending Apple launch puts all the more pressure for them to contain this quickly. The timing of this couldn’t have been worse."

[custom id="166"]

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Tech

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Hargreaves Lansdown orders staff back to office

    Investing
    Hargreaves Lansdown financial services office exterior with company logo prominently displayed on modern building façade
  • Why did Pinterest choose Oxford Street for its new HQ?

    Opinion
    Gregory Owens and Sadiq Khan, London Mayor, stand smiling in a gallery with various framed images.
  • Google Pixel 11 review: Can this new smartphone lure away iPhone users?

    Life&Style
    Person in yellow jacket holding a coral Google Pixel phone, with a smartwatch on their wrist, next to a car.
  • Europe’s Largest Celebration of Irish Culture Arrives in Belfast

    Business Wire
  • Top economists shun Burnham over wealth taxes

    Politics
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, expressing confidence despite challenges, highlighting leadership and resilie...
  • eClerx Reports Strong Q1 FY2026-27 Results; Revenue Stands at INR 1,170.2 Crore, up 23.8% YoY

    Business Wire
  • Algoma Central Corporation Reports Financial Results for the 2026 Second Quarter

    Business Wire
  • Aviva profits jump following Direct Line acquisition

    Insurance
    Aviva's deal to buy Direct Line was agreed in March
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook