Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,752.18
+0.30%
DAX
26,237.10
-0.39%
CAC 40
8,542.80
-0.43%
STOXX 50
6,500.51
-0.46%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 19 November 2019 5:50 pm  |  Updated:  Wednesday 20 November 2019 10:15 am

Three more companies ditch sponsorship of Prince Andrew’s Pitch@Palace scheme

By: Edward Thicknesse

Add as a preferred source on Google
Prince Andrew runs the Pitch@Palace entrepreneur scheme
Prince Andrew runs the Pitch@Palace entrepreneur scheme

Three more companies said they would no longer support Prince Andrew’s entrepreneurial scheme Pitch@Palace, a day after KPMG jumped ship.

International banking giant Standard Chartered was the first to pull the plug. A spokesman confirmed: “We won’t be renewing the sponsorship when it ends in February.”

Read more: Corporate sponsors look to desert Prince Andrew’s Pitch@Palace scheme

Later in the afternoon Advertising Week Europe, a global summit of marketing and communications leaders, confirmed it would end its association with the prince. A spokesperson said:

“We are committed to creating opportunities for entrepreneurs to showcase their ground-breaking ideas, which is what initially attracted us to engage with and support Pitch. While our support for entrepreneurs remains just as strong, we can confirm that Advertising Week Europe is no longer involved with Pitch@Palace.”

Tech firm Gravity Road also reportedly cut ties with the scheme, according to the Daily Mail.

On Monday a number of businesses distanced themselves from the initiative in the face of increasing scrutiny over the Duke of York’s friendship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

KPMG was the first to end its £100,000-a-year relationship with the project over fears of negative publicity.

Astrazeneca, another sponsor of the programme, said: “Our three-year partnership with Pitch@Palace is due to expire at the end of this year and is currently being reviewed.”

Insurance firm Aon denied any connection with the scheme, saying that the listing of the firm as a partner was an error. 

The company said it had asked for its logo to be removed from the initiative’s website. The page which showed corporate sponsors has been taken down.

Bond University, on Australia’s Gold Coast, also issued a statement to Nine News saying it would no longer be a part of Pitch@Palace Global:

“Our current agreement with Pitch@Palace Australia finished this year. We have previously said any new agreement would be considered in 2020. However, in light of recent events, the university does not intend to seek any further involvement.”

Another university, Melbourne’s Rmit, also cut ties. Murdoch and Wollongong Universities were also said to be reviewing their links to the programme.

Read more

Why do six Premier League clubs still not have front of shirt sponsors?

Without the article title or content, its challenging to provide specific alt text. Please provide more context or details...

Pitch@Palace, which was set up in 2014, aims to connect entrepreneurs and early-stage businesses with potential supporters, including chief executives and investors.

The project is also supported by easygroup founder Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou through his charity, The Stelios Foundation. Morning Wire understands that the charity has no plans to change the existing relationship. 

Supporters Bosch and Barclays declined to comment.

Other organisations with a connection to the Duke are also reviewing their links.

The Outward Bound Trust, of which the prince is a patron, is understood to be holding a special meeting on the matter later this week.

London Metropolitan University is also reviewing his position. A spokesman for the university said:

“We will be reviewing the position of Prince Andrew, Duke of York, as our Patron at the next Board of Governors meeting on Tuesday 26th November.

“The University opposes all forms of discrimination, abuse, human trafficking and any activity that is contrary to the University’s values.” 

In addition, students at the University of Huddersfield, which counts the duke as its chancellor, are exploring how they could force him out of the role.

Read more: US financier Jeffrey Epstein charged with sex trafficking of young girls

The university has come out in support, saying: “As chancellor, he has taken a keen interest in the work of the university and has represented it in his official capacity on numerous occasions.

“His enthusiasm for innovation and entrepreneurship is a natural fit with the work of the university and every year the University of Huddersfield organises The Duke of York Young Entrepreneur Awards, which are promoted across universities throughout the north of England.

“In relation to the allegations, the palace has previously issued an emphatic denial and this was reiterated in the BBC interview with the Duke of York and we have nothing further to add.”

Main image credit: Getty

Read more

Aston Villa commercial status a tonic for Premier League in big-spending era

Unai Emery, Aston Villa manager, shouts with intensity during a football match, gesturing with his right arm.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking

Related Topics

  • Standard Chartered

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Why do six Premier League clubs still not have front of shirt sponsors?

    Sport Business
    Without the article title or content, its challenging to provide specific alt text. Please provide more context or details...
  • Aston Villa commercial status a tonic for Premier League in big-spending era

    Sport Business
    Unai Emery, Aston Villa manager, shouts with intensity during a football match, gesturing with his right arm.
  • Andy Burnham is utterly delusional

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, expressing confidence despite challenges, highlighting leadership and resilie...
  • Fulham sign up $15bn Silicon Valley tech and AI firm ClickHouse as front-of-shirt sponsor

    Sport Business
    No article content provided. Please provide the article content to generate relevant alt text.
  • Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Burnley axe main sponsor Finotive after just six weeks and promote Vertu to shirt

    Sport Business
    Smiling man in Burnley FC kit with Finotive One sponsor, arms outstretched, on a football pitch with stadium stands behind.
  • Hacking scandal? Inside Prince Harry’s costly legal battle over privacy

    Media
    Associated Newspapers, which is owned by Lord Rothermere's Daily Mail and General (DMG Media), said losses ballooned from £699,000 in 2022 to £44.5m in the year ended 1 October 2023
  • Crystal Palace stadium set for £130m revamp with 25,000 seats

    Sport Business
    Outdoor athletic stadium with red running track, green field, blue spectator seating, and large scoreboards.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook