Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,707.85
-0.19%
DAX
26,078.84
-0.19%
CAC 40
8,532.53
+0.27%
STOXX 50
6,467.55
-0.01%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 11 January 2017 6:30 pm

Supreme Court confirms it will not be handing out advance copies of the Article 50 judgment

By: Hayley Kirton

Add as a preferred source on Google

The Supreme Court has today confirmed it will not be giving anybody an early peek at the impending Article 50 decision.

"In view of the potential sensitivity of the case, there will be no copies of drafts available to anybody before the day of hand-down," a Supreme Court spokesperson said.

Last December, all 11 of the Supreme Court justices gathered to hear an appeal over whether the government had to consult parliament before it could trigger Article 50. A trio of High Court judges decided in November that the government could not use royal prerogative alone to start the UK's formal withdrawal process from the EU.

Read more: Carney reaffirms Brexit not the biggest risk to UK's financial stability

The decision from the country's top court, which returned from recess today, is widely expected to be handed down at some point this month. 

However, no official announcement has been made on the date of the judgment and the Supreme Court has told those who have enquired that they will aim to give three working days' notice before it is due to be released.

We do not have a date yet, but aim to give at least 3 working days' notice before the judgment will be delivered.

— UK Supreme Court (@UKSupremeCourt) January 11, 2017

Earlier today, the Guardian reported that, behind closed doors, the government had conceded defeat on the appeal, leading to some speculation that they had been provided with an advanced viewing of the judgment. 

Read more: Why Tunisian olives hold the key to the UK’s post-Brexit trading success

However, Anthony Woolich, head of HFW's competition and regulation team, told Morning Wire he was not shocked to learn the government might be fearing a defeat.

"Today's reports that the UK government expects to lose its legal battle to start the Brexit process without the approval of Parliament, and has drafted versions of a bill to put to lawmakers after the ruling, are not surprising," Woolich said. "The divisional court which handed down the original judgment was strong, including the Master of the Rolls and the Lord Chief Justice.

"It was a clear, unanimous judgment handed down less than three weeks after the hearing."

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Legal

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • Top court ‘opens the floodgates’ for part-time workers’ claims

    Lawsuit
    Supreme Court building under clear sky, symbolizing justice and authority, relevant to recent judicial news coverage
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • Exclusive: City giants tighten trans policies

    Business
    Progress Pride flag flying on a pole against a modern building, symbolizing trans policies in city firms
  • Thin end of the wedge? LLPs brace for major tax overhaul

    Tax
    Canada
  • ‘I thought this would be drama-free’: Games Workshop pockets tariff reprieve

    Retail
    Games Workshop joined the FTSE 100 at the end of last year.
  • Triumph for Tesla as top court rules 5G licensing case should be heard in UK

    Lawsuit
    Tech billionaire Elon Musk has been asked to serve in Donald Trump’s cabinet. (Photo by Apu Gomes/Getty Images)
  • On this day: the birth of press freedom

    Opinion
    Black and white illustration of the Crown v. Zenger trial, featuring lawyers and observers in a courtroom.
  • City watchdog suspends parts of £9bn motor finance scheme after industry backlash

    Banking
    The FCA has appointed Liam Coleman interim chair of the FOS.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook