Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 01 August 2023 6:04 am  |  Updated:  Monday 31 July 2023 7:02 pm

The 90s called: Flip phones forecast to be worth near $50bn by 2027 as analysts watch for an Apple model

By: Jess Jones

TMT Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google

Foldable smartphones are sparking a renaissance of the iconic flip phone from the 90s, with the market forecast to be worth nearly £50bn in the next four years.

According to Expert Market Research, the foldable smartphone market reached almost $16.5bn (£12.8bn) in 2022 and is expected to soar to $60bn (£46.6bn) by 2028.

Global foldable smartphone shipments are projected to hit 101.5m in 2027, up from 18.6m in 2023, with Samsung and Apple leading the market, according to Counterpoint’s Global Foldable Smartphone Tracker and Forecast.

IDC predict a far lower estimate of 48m units shipped in 2027 with a market value of $42bn (£33bn), although this excludes the assumption of a foldable Apple product.

However, analysts say technology needs to advance and prices must fall before the sector can really take off.

Speaking to Morning Wire, Ian Whittaker, leading independent media analyst, explained foldables have made a comeback for two reasons.

“One is that they have become fashionable,” he said, referencing a recent Tiktok craze with the flexible smartphone styles.

The second factor is convenience, Whittaker added, with flip phone makes it easier to fit in bags and pockets as phones grow increasingly larger.

“The rationale for foldable phones is clear,” agreed Joseph Teasdale, head of tech at Enders Analysis. “Who wouldn’t want an iPad-quality screen in an iPhone-sized package?”

However, foldable devices currently come with compromises.

“They’re expensive, the screens crease, the hinge is a point of failure, and they have to incorporate multiple displays rather than concentrating on making one display as good as possible at the price,” Teasdale told Morning Wire.

He estimated it may take around two more years to develop a foldable that doesn’t feel like an expensive prototype.

Read more

Iran war could ‘halt growth’ across UK economy 

Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, in a dark suit and glasses, listening intently at a wooden table.

The market is heating up as Google joined with its £1,749 Pixel Fold in May this year, while Apple is rumoured to introduce a contender in 2025.

Apple’s potential entry into the foldable market next year “will undoubtedly deliver a polished version” but with a high price tag, said Teasdale. At the other end of the spectrum, Android manufacturers like Oppo are expected to drive down entry-level prices. 

Oppo’s Find N2 Flip is priced at £849 while Motorola’s cheapest flip phone model sells for £800.

“Once we get a foldable phone that is both high-quality and not too expensive, the category is bound to grow,” Teasdale added.

Samsung is the frontrunner in the foldable market. Last week it launched its 5th generation Galaxy Z Flip and Z Fold models.

Samsung UK & I vice president James Kitto told Morning Wire the phone manufacturer was answering a call for higher performance and battery life: “People want more but in a pocketable, portable product.”

However, Paolo Pescatore, independent media analyst at PP Foresight, said: “It will be a challenge for Samsung to articulate the merits of the new Fold when the updates are hardly noticeable to users, that’s why it is increasingly being positioned as a productivity device.”

Samsung’s Galaxy Z Fold5 sells for a hefty £1,749, while the cheaper Z Flip5 has a slightly cheaper price tag of £1,049.

The Korean electronics giant is reportedly working on a more affordable option to help it compete with Apple’s mainstream iPhone range. “We are trying to make a leap in our price positioning,” the chief of its mobile business, TM Roh, told Bloomberg News last week.

“Samsung is the undisputed leader in foldables for now,” said Pescatore. However, the nascent market is “fast becoming the next battleground” as rivals seek to lure users with their own foldable devices.

“No doubt Apple is looking and working hard behind the scenes to bring novel devices to market. When it does, it will invigorate this segment and kick start consumer demand for foldables; as we’ve seen time and time again,” Pescatore added.

Apple did not respond to Morning Wire regarding its plans for foldables.

Read more

Jenrick: Welfare cuts worth £50bn allows us to ‘sustainably pay’ triple lock pension

Robert Jenrick speaking at a podium with BRITAIN NEEDS REFORM sign, delivering a speech.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Morning Wire Content
  • Tech

Related Topics

  • Apple
  • Samsung

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Iran war could ‘halt growth’ across UK economy 

    Economics
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, in a dark suit and glasses, listening intently at a wooden table.
  • Jenrick: Welfare cuts worth £50bn allows us to ‘sustainably pay’ triple lock pension

    Politics
    Robert Jenrick speaking at a podium with BRITAIN NEEDS REFORM sign, delivering a speech.
  • Argan, Inc. to Announce Second Quarter Fiscal 2027 Results and Host Conference Call on Wednesday, September 2, 2026

    Business Wire
  • NHS data counters claims that £330m Palantir deal has led to ‘no improvement’

    Tech
    Brit are seeking financial support from the ‘Bank of Mum and Dad’ to afford private healthcare.
  • London’s IPO lull expected to last into 2027

    Markets
    The London Stock Exchange has had a challenging 2024 so far, although bankers are eying a rebound for IPOs
  • Robinhood offers crypto asset tied to FCA warning list

    Crypto
    Hands holding a smartphone displaying a trading platform with cryptocurrency charts and buy/sell buttons, a blurred monito...
  • ReNew Announces Results for the First Quarter for Fiscal Year 2027 (Q1 FY27), Ended June 30, 2026

    Business Wire
  • Energy discount scheme for homes near new pylons branded ‘bribe’ by Reform

    Energy
    Pylons standing tall against a clear sky following Engies acquisition of UK Power Networks, symbolizing energy sector growth.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook