Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 05 March 2024 11:45 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 05 March 2024 1:46 pm

‘This clearly shows the absurdity of UK stock market valuations’: Currys urged to accept offer that values it at over £1bn

By: Jon Robinson

Add as a preferred source on Google
Investors will get a glimpse into whether consumers are loosening their budgets and upgrading their homes when AO World and Currys report on their yearly profits.
The rival electricals and home appliance retailers will be publishing their full-year financial results on Wednesday and Thursday.

Currys should accept a takeover offer that would value the company at more than £1bn, according to one of its shareholders.

JOHCM UK Equity Income Fund, which owns just over 4.4 per cent of the retailer, said it would consider an offer of between 80p to 100p per share to be acceptable.

Last month, Currys rejected a £700m takeover from activist investor Elliott Investment Management.

That was followed a few days later by a second bid from the firm worth around £750m, which was also rejected.

READ MORE: Currys rejects £700m takeover bid from activist investor Elliott

READ MORE: Elliott tries and fails with second bid for Currys as takeover war continues

Currys rejected the first offer on the grounds that it undervalued the company. 

In a joint statement Clive Beagles and James Lowen, senior fund managers of the JOHCM UK Equity Income Fund, said: “For Currys, our current view based on known information is an acceptable offer would be in the range of 80-100p.

“This compares to an undisturbed share price of 47p, which would be close to a 100 per cent premium.

“At 90p, the market cap would be c.£1bn. Regular readers may recall our 2023 recommendation for the board to sell two divisions.

“One, the Greek business, was sold for £175m at the end of last year. We value the other, ID Mobile, at £350mn.

Read more

Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 

“Notably, before the bid, the market cap essentially only reflected the value of these two businesses.

“However, Curry’s core business, with leadership positions in both online and offline markets across the Nordics and the UK, generates approximately £9.5bn in sales.

“This clearly shows the absurdity of UK stock market valuations, which we have discussed extensively in these reports over the last two years.

“Our normalised earnings per share for Currys is 12p, suggesting an exit PE of 8x at the top end of the range.

“Our range reflects some pragmatism, as we can rotate the value received into other very cheap stocks.

“As we await the outcome, we have placed a portfolio construction cap of 200bps on our position size, which meant we trimmed the position slightly.”

Shares in the retailer edged slightly higher after the statement, rising by 0.6 per cent to 66.45p.

Currys has previously been said to be in talks with Chinese commerce giant JD.com about the possibility of a deal, however cautioned at the time there “can be no certainty that an offer could be made”.

In the last year, investors have watched Currys struggle to keep its head above water, as a slowdown in spending and national cash crunch battered both its earnings and share price. 

Elliott has until March 16 at 5pm to make a firm offer for Currys or walk away under City Takeover Panel rules.

Read more

FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Retail

People & Organisations

  • Currys
  • Elliott Investment Management
  • JOHCM UK Equity Income Fund

Related Topics

  • Mergers and acquisitions

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss after takeover bid

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Apollo snaps up Easyjet after Castlelake walks away

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Government urged to refuse £1bn British Steel repayment to Chinese former owner 

    Politics
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Thames Water faces fresh threat to survival after pensions regulation breach

    Water
    Thames Water infrastructure with pipes and maintenance workers, highlighting water management efforts in London
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook