Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 08 October 2019 2:18 pm

US looks to fund Huawei’s rivals amid concerns over Chinese dominance

By: James Warrington

Add as a preferred source on Google
This aerial photo taken on September 28, 2019 shows people visiting a newly-opened Huawei flagship store in Shenzhen in China's southern Guangdong province. (Photo by STR / AFP) / China OUT (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images)

The US government is said to be looking for ways to pump money into Huawei’s European rivals amid concerns about the Chinese firm’s dominance in the race to roll out 5G.

Officials have explored ways of issuing credit to Nokia and Ericsson to enable them to match the generous financing terms that Huawei offers its customers, the Financial Times reported, citing two people with knowledge of the situation.

Read more: Huawei is already making equipment without US parts, says founder

The move represents an escalation of the US’s campaign against Huawei, which is the world’s largest provider of telecoms equipment.

President Donald Trump has added the Chinese tech giant to a trade blacklist, accusing the firm of acting as a conduit for spying by authorities in Beijing.

“We gave up our superiority in making telecoms equipment decades ago, and now we are realising that this might not have been the best choice for national security reasons,” one government official told the newspaper.

“Almost every department and agency is desperately looking right now for ways to get back into this game. If we don’t, Huawei could soon be the only option for anyone wanting to roll out 5G networks.”

In addition to boosting European rivals, some officials in Washington are said to be pushing for a new domestic challenger.

US firms such as Cisco and Oracle have been asked to enter the market, but have rejected the suggestion saying it would be too expensive and time-consuming, according to the report.

Read more

China’s mega London embassy to go ahead after High Court blocks challenge

Protesters hold signs saying STOP Chinese Secret Policing in the UK and Safeguard National Security

Last month US politicians outlined plans for a $1bn (£805m) fund that would help telecoms firms to replace equipment made by Huawei.

But Trump’s administration has also urged US allies to exclude the Chinese firms from its next-generation networks and to turn to rivals Nokia and Ericsson instead.

The UK is yet to issue its final verdict on the subject, but EE and Vodafone have already launched their 5G networks using Huawei equipment.

Read more: US proposes $1bn fund to replace Huawei network equipment

Huawei, which has always denied allegations of wrongdoing, has played down concerns about the impact of the US trade ban.

Founder Ren Zhengfei last month said his company was already producing equipment without US parts, adding that Huawei would be willing to licence its 5G technology to a US company.

The White House declined to comment to the Financial Times.

Main image credit: Getty

Read more

China, EU Respondents Optimistic About Prospects of Future Cooperation: GT Survey

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Tech

Related Topics

  • Huawei

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • China’s mega London embassy to go ahead after High Court blocks challenge

    Politics
    Protesters hold signs saying STOP Chinese Secret Policing in the UK and Safeguard National Security
  • China, EU Respondents Optimistic About Prospects of Future Cooperation: GT Survey

    Business Wire
  • Bal looks the bet in fiercely competitive Falmouth

    Sport
    Business professionals engaged in a lively discussion at a conference, emphasizing collaboration and strategic planning.
  • Citroën 2CV returns as a £13,000 electric car, and the timing is no accident

    Sponsored
    Vintage 1954 Citroen 2CV car on display showcasing classic French automotive design and innovation
  • Fresh tech sell-off fears as investor chip frenzy cools

    Markets
    Private Credit
  • Goodwood Festival of Speed 2026 Preview

    Sponsored
    Renault's 5 Turbo 3E will make its UK debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
  • ‘Nasty’ chip stock rout plunges Nasdaq into correction territory

    Markets
    Stock trader with headset and tablet monitors market data, reflecting Nasdaq, NYSE correction concerns.
  • Sovereign AI is no longer a nice to have, and with open source, more achievable than ever

    Opinion
    AI sovereignty shield with brain circuit icon and padlock, glowing lines on ground, London cityscape at sunset.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook