Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,763.61
+0.40%
DAX
26,198.01
-0.53%
CAC 40
8,530.42
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,489.85
-0.62%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 04 August 2016 12:24 pm

Woman killed at Russell Square – police investigating whether attack was terror-related

By: Caitlin Morrison

Add as a preferred source on Google

Police investigating a knife attack in central London last night, in which one person was killed and five others were injured, said they have found no evidence to suggest the crime was terror-related.

A woman in her 60s was killed by a man with a knife in Russell Square at around 10.30pm last night. Two other women and three men received various injuries in the attack, and three of the injured people have since been discharged from hospital.

Police were called at 10.33pm and a 19-year-old man was arrested at 10.39pm after a Taser was discharged by an officer. The suspect has been charged with murder.

The murdered woman was an American citizen, police have confirmed, while the injured people are Australian, American, Israeli and British.

The suspect is a Norwegian national of Somali ancestry, the police said.

"So far we have found no evidence of radicalisation or anything that would suggest the man in our custody was motivated by terrorism," said assistant commissioner Mark Rowley.

"Whilst the investigation is not yet complete – all of the work that we have done so far, increasingly points to this tragic incident as having been triggered by mental health issues.

"At this time we believe this was a spontaneous attack and the victims were selected at random."

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan today urged the public to remain "calm and vigilant" as police investigate the attack.

"The safety of all Londoners is my number one priority," Khan said.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Lisa Nandy has set a terrible precedent by flouncing off Twitter

    Opinion
    Culture secretary Lisa Nandy has warned that the limbo over David Kogan’s appointment as head of the Independent Football Regulator is “obviously having real-world consequences”.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 recovers after oil surge dampens mood; Strikes in the Strait of Hormuz

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at a political rally, surrounded by supporters, emphasizing key points in a vibrant, dynamic setting
  • Policing alone won’t solve London’s shoplifting epidemic

    Opinion
    Shoplifting incident in retail store with security camera footage showing suspect concealing merchandise in jacket
  • Cleansed is still the most harrowing play you’ll ever see

    Life&Style
    A man and woman in an intimate embrace, surrounded by a field of orange and yellow flowers on a dark stage
  • Reform’s Richard Tice under parliamentary investigation

    Politics
    Reform UK leader Nigel Farage and Deputy Leader Richard Tice are set to meet with Andrew Bailey to discuss interest rates and stablecoins.
  • The Debate: should we release female prisoners to make space for men?

    Opinion
    Brick prison wall with barred windows, razor wire, and a security camera.
  • In Jason Arday, Cambridge is discovering the dangers of DEI

    Opinion
    Jason Arday smiling, wearing academic regalia with a blue cap and gown with red accents.
  • The Simon Levy case proves some criminals can never be rehabilitated

    Opinion
    Simon Levy, a man with dark hair and a beard, looking directly at the camera.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook