Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 17 February 2015 11:17 am

Dominique Strauss-Kahn trial: Prosecutor calls for pimping charges to be dropped against former IMF chief

By: Joe Hall

Add as a preferred source on Google

A French prosecutor has called for Dominique Strauss-Kahn to be acquitted of aggravated pimping charges.

Prosecutor Frederic Fevre said “neither the judicial enquiry nor the hearing” had proved that the former International Monetary Fund (IMF) chief had provided prostitutes to sex parties.
 
Fevre’s request came the day after two former prostitutes dropped a civil case against Strauss-Kahn at the trial in Lille. Their lawyer argued that the women felt unable to prove the 65-year-old had been aware of their status as prostitutes.
 
Strauss-Kahn, whose political status once led him to be considered a potential candidate for the French presidency after Nicolas Sarkozy, has admitted to attending sex parties over the course of the trial but has downplayed the extent of his involvement. If found guilty he could face up to 10 years in prison. 
 
He told the court last week:
 
When you read the criminal complaint you get the impression it was this frenetic activity. But it was four times a year, not more than that. It wasn’t this out-of-control activity. 
 
Prosecutors had always expected difficulty in getting a conviction against Strauss-Kahn for pimping and had originally asked for the charges to be dropped ahead of the trial, before being overruled by the judges who sent the case to trial.
 
Strauss-Kahn has repeatedly denied both knowing that the participating women were prostitutes and arranging the events himself – two facts which would have to be proved by the prosecution in order to reach a conviction.
 
The former IMF chief's political career came crashing down when he was accused of sexual assault by a New York hotel maid in 2011. He has had two further cases of rape and sexual assault brought against him, but all have either been dropped or settled out of court. 
 
The trial is expected to finish this week, although a verdict is not expected immediately.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • IMF

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • IMF warns Bank of England against cutting interest rates

    Economics
    IMF Chief Kristalina Georgieva issues caution to Bank of England amid economic concerns
  • Hacking scandal? Inside Prince Harry’s costly legal battle over privacy

    Media
    Associated Newspapers, which is owned by Lord Rothermere's Daily Mail and General (DMG Media), said losses ballooned from £699,000 in 2022 to £44.5m in the year ended 1 October 2023
  • Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Meta trial risks reputational damage that ‘dwarfs’ financial hit

    Tech
    Mark Zuckerberg in a dark suit, looking intently with a red light blurred in the background
  • On this day: the birth of press freedom

    Opinion
    Black and white illustration of the Crown v. Zenger trial, featuring lawyers and observers in a courtroom.
  • Lufthansa and aviation rivals clash in London court over power outlet profits

    Legal
    Lufthansa aircraft on tarmac with logo visible, showcasing airlines fleet under clear sky in a business news context
  • From crown jewel to €180m courtroom battle: The investor revolt targeting Atos

    Markets
    Atos logo prominently displayed on a modern office building, highlighting its corporate presence and technological expertise.
  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

    Fintech
    The valuation would cement Monzo's status as one of Britain's biggest tech start-ups.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook