Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
0.00%
CAC 40
8,579.60
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 17 November 2016 3:37 pm

More scrutiny on Chinese M&A targeting US as congress advised to block state-owned takeovers

By: William Turvill

Add as a preferred source on Google

Chinese takeovers are coming under increasing scrutiny in the United States, with congress now advised to ban state-owned firms from acquiring American companies.

China-to-US mergers and acquisitions (M&A) activity has smashed previous records so far this year, with Dealogic tracking 146 deals worth $60.7bn so far this year – up from 117 deals worth $12bn at the same stage last year.

These levels were put in jeopardy by the election win of Donald Trump, who made his opposition to Chinese dealings in the US clear in the run-up to the vote.

Read more: Are iPhones about to become a bargaining chip in Trump's China trade talks?

Alongside this, the US-China Economic and Security Review Commission yesterday said China’s ruling party has used state-backed enterprises to “pursue social, industrial, and foreign policy objectives”.

The commission recommended: “Congress amend the statute authorising the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) to bar Chinese state-owned enterprises from acquiring or otherwise gaining effective control of US companies.”

The recommendation has not gone down well in China. Foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said the report “revealed the commission’s stereotypes and prejudices”.

Read more: Donald Trump presidency could be a threat to record China-US M&A levels

Reuters reported him saying at a daily news briefing: “We ask that Chinese companies investing abroad abide by local laws and regulations, and we hope that relevant countries will create a level playing field.”

Dennis Shea, chairman of the US-China Economic and Security Review Commission, told a US conference: “We don’t want the US government purchasing companies in the United States, why would we want the Chinese Communist government purchasing companies in the United States?”

Commenting on the report, Mergermarket Americas research editor Elizabeth Lim said: “Ultimately, congress will have to decide as a whole if they want to change CFIUS’ mandate or not, and if so, to what degree.

“There does appear to be strong sentiment coming from the Trump camp and their supporters that some action needs to be taken, but again it is too early to tell at this stage what that might be.”

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • International
  • M&A

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Government intervenes on foreign takeover bids for UK defence firms

    Industrials
    UK defence strategy meeting, officials discussing military advancements and security measures in a conference room setting
  • China’s mega London embassy to go ahead after High Court blocks challenge

    Politics
    Protesters hold signs saying STOP Chinese Secret Policing in the UK and Safeguard National Security
  • Private equity firms eye valuation gap as City falls to takeovers

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 could face trouble as banks suffer from bond market turmoil.
  • China, EU Respondents Optimistic About Prospects of Future Cooperation: GT Survey

    Business Wire
  • Bumper IPL takeovers boost T20 cricket franchise league’s value to over $20bn

    Sport Business
    Blue and red banners featuring Playbold and House of RCB with cheering fans, blurred figures passing by.
  • Top Tory slams ‘ivory tower’ financial regulators as takeover bids blight London Stock Exchange

    Markets
    Shadow business secretary Andrew Griffith has said he would make it easier for small businesses to open bank accounts. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
  • Takeovers aren’t the reason the London Stock Exchange is shrinking

    Opinion
    Canada skyline featuring iconic skyscrapers and modern architecture against a clear blue sky
  • From China with Love: Xpeng’s Luxury Ambition

    Motoring
    Tim Barnes-Clay observing the new dark green Xpeng G9L electric SUV in a modern showroom in China.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook