Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,763.18
+0.40%
DAX
26,194.81
-0.55%
CAC 40
8,528.01
-0.60%
STOXX 50
6,485.95
-0.68%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 10 August 2021 9:54 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 10 August 2021 10:45 am

China court rejects Canadian citizen’s death sentence appeal

By: Cyrus Chan

Add as a preferred source on Google
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Chinese President Xi Jinping Meet In Beijing
The High Court in Liaoning province has upheld on Tuesday a death sentence against Canadian citizen Robert Schellenberg for drug smuggling. (Photo by Fred Dufour-Pool/Getty Images)

A Chinese court has upheld today a death sentence against Canadian citizen Robert Schellenberg for drug smuggling.

Schellenberg has been detained in China since 2014 after he was accused of drug smuggling. In December 2018, he was sentenced to 15 years in jail and he appealed for a retrial.

But the Dalian intermediate people’s court sentenced him to death in January 2019, a month after telecoms giant Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou was arrested at Vancouver International Airport on a warrant from the US.

Meng was charged with misleading HSBC Holdings about Huawei’s business dealings in Iran, potentially causing the bank to violate American economic sanctions.

Liaoning Higher People’s Court heard Schellenberg’s appeal against the death sentence in May last year and confirmed the verdict today.

Dominic Barton, Canada’s ambassador to China, attended the ruling and said outside the court that Canada condemns the verdict on all possible terms.

“We call on China to grant Robert Schellenberg clemency. We have expressed our firm opposition to this cruel and usual punishment and continue to express that to the Chinese authorities,” said Barton.

Ambassador Barton remarks on #RobertSchellenberg’s verdict pronouncement after existing the courtroom. pic.twitter.com/coXX1bl6y1

— Canada in China (@CanadaChina) August 10, 2021

Another court in the northeastern city of Dandong is reportedly expected to rule on the case of another Canadian, Michael Spavor, accused of spying on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, in Canada, lawyers representing Meng make a final push to convince a court not to extradite her to the US.

“It is not a coincidence that these are happening right now, while the case is going on in Vancouver,” said Barton, referring to the cases of Schellenberg and Spavor.

China has rejected the suggestion that the two Canadian cases in China link to Meng’s case in Canada.

Read more

Nobel Peace Prize maker’s UK arm seeks administrator

Close-up of a golden Nobel Prize medal featuring Alfred Nobels profile on a dark, textured background.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Huawei
  • International

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Nobel Peace Prize maker’s UK arm seeks administrator

    Business
    Close-up of a golden Nobel Prize medal featuring Alfred Nobels profile on a dark, textured background.
  • The Simon Levy case proves some criminals can never be rehabilitated

    Opinion
    Simon Levy, a man with dark hair and a beard, looking directly at the camera.
  • Align Technology Prevails in China Patent Infringement Action Against Angelalign

    Business Wire
  • China’s mega London embassy to go ahead after High Court blocks challenge

    Politics
    Protesters hold signs saying STOP Chinese Secret Policing in the UK and Safeguard National Security
  • The Debate: should we release female prisoners to make space for men?

    Opinion
    Brick prison wall with barred windows, razor wire, and a security camera.
  • Nottingham Forest owner Marinakis sues Crystal Palace for defamation

    Sport Business
    Evangelos Marinakis, owner of Nottingham Forest, in a dark jacket and white shirt, looking serious at a stadium.
  • Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Death Note: The Musical review – a high-shine, high school take on the trolley problem

    Life&Style
    Xander Pang Light and the cast of Death Note The Musical on stage with Tokyo cityscape projections
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook