Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 07 June 2022 12:29 pm

Dustin Johnson quits PGA Tour and Ryder Cup to join £200m LIV Golf Invitational Series

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
The PGA Tour risks losing one of its biggest names after Dustin Johnson resigned to play the LIV Golf Invitational Series, which starts in London this week
The PGA Tour risks losing one of its biggest names after Dustin Johnson resigned to play the LIV Golf Invitational Series, which starts in London this week

Dustin Johnson says he has resigned from the PGA Tour in order to play in the new $255m (£204m) LIV Golf Invitational Series, which starts at Centurion Club near London this week.

The move also means that the former world No1 and two-time major winner will also be ineligible to add to his five appearances for the United States at the Ryder Cup.

The PGA Tour and its European counterpart, the DP World Tour, have threatened to ban players who participate in the new circuit, which is backed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

But Johnson left the door open to a return to the PGA Tour, indicating that he hoped those threats would remain unenforced and he would be able to play further majors too.

“At this time it’s hard to speak on what the consequences will be but for right now I’ll resign my membership of the tour and I’m going to play here for now,” said the 37-year-old.

“What the consequences are going to be, I can’t comment on how the tours are going to handle [that]. Again, I can’t answer for the majors. Hopefully they’re going to allow us to play. Obviously I’m exempt for the majors so I plan on playing there unless I hear otherwise.”

Johnson is the highest-ranked player in the field for the LIV Golf Invitational – London, which is due to begin on Thursday and offers the winner $4m (£3.2m) from a prize pot of $25m (£20m).

Six-time major winner Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia and Lee Westwood are also among the 48 players signed up for the Hertfordshire curtain-raiser to a series that promises to reinvent golf.

Tournaments will feature simultaneous individual and team scoring, three rounds instead of the usual four and shotgun starts, where all players tee off at once at different holes.

Read more

South Africa sport minister on Olympics bid, Formula 1, Springboks and LIV Golf

Rugby player in green jersey with Pic n Pay 13 shaking hands with a smiling man in a suit and tie

Most significantly, however, is that it is planned to evolve into a year-long league with 12 distinctive star-led franchises that LIV Golf chief Greg Norman hopes can emulate the success of cricket’s Indian Premier League.

Johnson said relinquishing his eligibility for future Ryder Cups had been a big decision but “hopefully all things are subject to change and at some point we’ll be able to participate”.

“It was another thing I had to really think long and hard about and ultimately I decided to come to this. Like I said, I’m excited about it,” he added.

“The Ryder Cup is unbelievable and has definitely meant a lot to me. I’m proud to say I represented my country. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to do that again, but I don’t make the rules.”

Asked whether he had chosen money over his country, he said: “I chose what’s best for me and my family.”

Johnson’s decision to resign, which follows a similar move from world top 40 player Kevin Na last week, promises to call the PGA Tour’s bluff.

The leading tours must now decide whether to issue bans and risk ostracising some of their biggest names or bow to player power, knowing other stars could follow suit.

Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm are among the stars to have rejected advances from LIV Golf, which is backed by $2bn from the Saudi PIF. 

Read more

American Express tees up golf’s St Andrews as it expands its sports portfolio

Golf course with the Old Course Hotel and town buildings in St Andrews, Scotland, under cloudy skies.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport Business
  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Golf
  • Sport business
  • Sports money

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • South Africa sport minister on Olympics bid, Formula 1, Springboks and LIV Golf

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in green jersey with Pic n Pay 13 shaking hands with a smiling man in a suit and tie
  • American Express tees up golf’s St Andrews as it expands its sports portfolio

    Sport Business
    Golf course with the Old Course Hotel and town buildings in St Andrews, Scotland, under cloudy skies.
  • London City 7s sign up Springbok-producing powerhouse varsity team

    Sport Business
    Siya Kolisi, Springboks captain, in a green and gold rugby jersey during a match
  • Royal Hospital Chelsea to host top Arabian horse competition

    Sport Business
    British soldiers in red uniforms parade in front of historic buildings under a partly cloudy sky.
  • How padel courts became a must-have for upscale hotels and members’ clubs

    Sport Business
    Outdoor padel tennis court with green turf, high fences, and a net, against a backdrop of trees and buildings.
  • Tour de France Femmes: World famous cycling race plunged into bra row

    Sport Business
    Tour de France Femmes avec Zwift banners promoting the Grand Départ in Great Britain 2027
  • South Africa need cash from New Zealand Tests but All Blacks fans not like Lions

    Sport Business
    New Zealand All Blacks perform the Haka facing South African Springboks rugby team on field.
  • BBC to broadcast Alexis Ohanian co-founded all-female athletics series Athlos

    Sport Business
    Keely Hodgkinson waves to the crowd at a track and field event, wearing a purple and black athletic top.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook