Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
+0.53%
CAC 40
8,636.80
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
-0.09%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 31 July 2019 9:12 am  |  Updated:  Wednesday 31 July 2019 12:16 pm

Ex-Audi chief Rupert Stadler faces criminal charges for his role in dieselgate scandal

By: Alex Daniel

Add as a preferred source on Google
MUNICH, GERMANY - MARCH 11: Rupert Stadler, CEO of Audi group looks on during a Audi group reception on March 11, 2013 in Munich, Germany. (Photo by Alexander Hassenstein/Getty Images)

Former Audi boss Rupert Stadler has been charged for his part in Volkswagen’s emissions cheating scandal, known as dieselgate.

Read more: Former VW boss Martin Winterkorn faces criminal charges for emissions scandal

The Munich public prosecutor’s office said this morning that it has charged Stadler and three others with false certification and criminal advertising practices. 

The dieselgate scandal has cost Volkswagen, which owns Audi, more than €30bn (£26bn) since it admitted in 2015 to using illegal software in its diesel engines to cheat anti-pollution tests.

The charges relate to sales of hundreds of Audi, Volkswagen and Porsche branded cars across Europe and the United States.

German authorities arrested Stadler in June last year in connection with the scandal. He remained in custody until October, when Audi sacked him.

“Defendant Stadler is accused of having been aware of the manipulations since the end of September 2015, at the latest, but he did not prevent the sale of affected Audi and Volkswagen vehicles thereafter,” the prosecutor said in a statement.

Read more

Is the Audi Q9 the poshest Audi yet?

Dark blue Audi Q9 SUV parked on concrete with a modern building and sunset sky in the background.

Read more: Volkswagen squirrels away €1bn contingency fund to pay emissions scandal legal fees

Stadler’s charges follow those levelled against former Volkswagen boss Martin Winterkorn in April, which marked the first indictment against a former VW board member on home turf since the revelations came to light several years ago.

One current employee charged

Audi confirmed the indictment of Stadler, and added that one of the other three people charged is a current Audi employee. The others are former employees.

The car maker said the case is separate from proceedings against the company itself, which came to an end in October with Audi agreeing to pay an €800m (£733m) fine.

A spokesperson said: “Our company continues to cooperate fully with the investigating authorities in order to clarify the circumstances that led to the diesel crisis. This clarification is a prerequisite for the successful new start.

“We have learned from our past and are using it as an opportunity.”

Main image: Getty

Read more

Comsysto Reply Supports Audi in Evolving Its B2B Used Car Platform With an AI-Based Multi-Agent System

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Automotive industry
  • Volkswagen

Trending Articles

  • Jobs market ‘stops moving’ as employment costs weigh on hirers

  • House prices suffer biggest August slump in eight years 

  • Back bookshops in bid to rebuild high streets, Burnham urged

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Reform pledges £50bn savings in ‘generational’ benefits shake-up

More from Morning Wire

  • Is the Audi Q9 the poshest Audi yet?

    Life&Style
    Dark blue Audi Q9 SUV parked on concrete with a modern building and sunset sky in the background.
  • Comsysto Reply Supports Audi in Evolving Its B2B Used Car Platform With an AI-Based Multi-Agent System

    Business Wire
  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • Hacking scandal? Inside Prince Harry’s costly legal battle over privacy

    Media
    Associated Newspapers, which is owned by Lord Rothermere's Daily Mail and General (DMG Media), said losses ballooned from £699,000 in 2022 to £44.5m in the year ended 1 October 2023
  • FCA charges City lawyer with insider dealing over maternity brand acquisition

    Legal
    The FCA said in June any scheme must keep the market afloat in order to curb rising costs for consumers.
  • City watchdog suspends parts of £9bn motor finance scheme after industry backlash

    Banking
    The FCA has appointed Liam Coleman interim chair of the FOS.
  • Donkervoort P24 RS supercar coming to the UK in right-hand drive

    Life&Style
    Dark green Donkervoort sportscar with exposed front wheels and orange interior, parked on a winding road with mountains
  • Close Brothers shares fall as motor finance scandal threatens worst returns in Europe

    Banking
    Close Brothers has upped its motor finance provisions.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook