Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,711.13
-0.09%
DAX
26,222.28
-0.44%
CAC 40
8,532.01
-0.55%
STOXX 50
6,491.18
-0.60%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 24 July 2023 10:20 am  |  Updated:  Monday 24 July 2023 8:28 pm

More London rail disruption on horizon as ASLEF to stage fresh overtime ban

By: Guy Taylor

Transport Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Aslef train workers on the picket line at Euston station in London.
Aslef train workers on the picket line at Euston station in London.

Train drivers will stage a fresh overtime ban in August, the ASLEF Union has announced, continuing a long running dispute and causing disruption for many London hubs.

ASLEF workers will refuse to work overtime from Monday 7 to Saturday 12 August, in action that the union said will “seriously disrupt services,” as “none of the train companies employ enough drivers to deliver the services they have promised passengers and the government they will run.”

Services included in the overtime ban are routes which serve major London hubs, including the Thameslink, Great Western, Avanti West Coast and the Gatwick Express.

A recent survey showed that despite rail disruption in recent months, London workers are still making the effort to get back to the office, and are bucking the wider UK trend of increasingly working from home.

Mick Whelan, ASLEF’s general secretary, hit out at a breakdown in negotiations with government, who he said have refused to “sit down and talk to us and have not made a fair and sensible pay offer to train drivers who have not had one for four years – since 2019 – while prices have soared in that time by more than 12 per cent.”

April negotiations saw the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) – who represent train operators – offer a 4 per pay rise, which ASLEF refused.

Whelan said today: “We have not heard a word from the employers since then – we haven’t had a meeting, or a phone call, a text message, nor an email – for the three months, and we haven’t sat down with the government since Friday 6 January.”

The announcement comes amid this weeks’ disruption, with RMT members launching rolling strike action which began yesterday, and will continue through to 29 July.

This weeks’ strikes were also set to effectively shut down the London Underground, with Unite, the RMT and ASLEF all staging walk-outs.

However, the action was called off after Union negotiators reached a last minute pay deal with Transport for London (TFL) and Mayor Sadiq Khan who they said had made “significant concessions.”

This week, the boss of Brewdog said the impact strikes were having were “killing” UK business and cost the firm upwards of £3.5m.

Train operators affected include Avanti West Coast, Chiltern Railways, Cross Country, East Midlands Railway, Greater Anglia, Great Western Railway, GTR Great Northern Thameslink, Island Line, LNER, Northern Trains, Southeastern, Southern and Gatwick Express, South Western Railway main line, TransPennine Express and West Midlands trains.

Read more

TOURISE and Oxford Economics Release New Global Report on Tourism Resilience in an Era of Permanent Disruption

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Strikes

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • TOURISE and Oxford Economics Release New Global Report on Tourism Resilience in an Era of Permanent Disruption

    Business Wire
  • Virgin Trains gets green light for channel tunnel route

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Red Virgin high-speed train on tracks at a station platform, under an arched glass roof, with blurred people.
  • Tiktok ‘confident’ ahead of Ofcom child safety probe

    Tech
    Tiktok appeals to overturn US ban in a broader battle for tech regulation
  • Kendall blasts ‘unacceptably slow’ online safety laws as VPN loophole grows

    Tech
    Work and Pensions Secretary Liz Kendall is in charge of reforming the state pension and benefits system
  • Tiktok pledges three-stage age checks as it pilots alcohol sales

    Tech
    Tiktok appeals to overturn US ban in a broader battle for tech regulation
  • Everton facing early termination of Stake sleeve deal as ban looms

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed on a digital screen, symbolizing media and stock photography industry presence
  • Kids aren’t using VPNs to watch porn and skirt social media bans, VPN firms say

    Tech
    Work and Pensions Secretary Liz Kendall is in charge of reforming the state pension and benefits system
  • Robotaxi rules row drives Waymo-Uber rift ahead of London launch

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Getty Images logo on a building facade, symbolizing brand presence in the media and photography industry.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook