Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
0.00%
CAC 40
8,636.80
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 17 November 2016 6:30 am

Personal injury lawyers disappointed at ministry of justice plans

By: Oliver Gill

Add as a preferred source on Google

Personal injury lawyers reacted angrily to government proposals to clamp down on spurious whiplash claims.

The ministry of justice will reveal proposals today, in an attempt to reduce the spiralling number of whiplash claims the insurance industry say are putting huge inflationary pressure on motor premiums.

Read more: Churchill owner says "ooh yesh" after bumper motor results

However, First4lawyers hit back at the proposals, and said they were "far worse" than previously expected.

"[The proposals] do nothing other than to benefit the insurance industry fat cats at the expense of innocent accident victims. We sincerely hope that there is a real consultation and that this isn’t a ‘done deal’ as the language of the announcement suggests," said Qamar Anwar, a managing director at First4Lawyers.

​Vidisha Joshi of Hodge, Jones and Allen said the government plans could hit bone fide whiplash victims: "We have proposals that would severely penalise injured people and limit their access to justice," she said.

Increased levels of traffic and negligent driving are the real reasons for the ongoing rise in road traffic incidents. These are the issues that need to be tackled, rather than finding ways to save insurers money.

Pressure group Access2Justice lamented the timing of the consultation. It said that it would not give sufficient time for parties to prepare responses to the government plans. 

"We are… extremely disappointed that the ministry of justice has decided to close the consultation on 6 January 2017, as this effectively means that three weeks will lost to us thanks to the Christmas and New Year holidays," said spokesperson Andrew Twambley,

Read more: Here's one more way the cost of motoring is sky-rocketing

Meanwhile, Qamar Anwar took the opportunity to point both barrels at insurers:

“The insurance industry has an increasing reputation for ripping off consumers, be it through auto-renewal increases, dodgy black-box data and attempts to breach Facebook advertising guidelines. Just how can we trust them to ensure they will offer fair and reasonable settlements to those injured in an accident? Soon they will be complaining when they have to pay out for damage to vehicles."

 

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Legal

Trending Articles

  • Jobs market ‘stops moving’ as employment costs weigh on hirers

  • House prices suffer biggest August slump in eight years 

  • Back bookshops in bid to rebuild high streets, Burnham urged

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Reform pledges £50bn savings in ‘generational’ benefits shake-up

More from Morning Wire

  • Qumis Launches the Industry’s First Attorney-Certified AI Agents for Commercial Insurance Coverage

    Business Wire
  • Lammy’s cohabitation rules threaten unmarried couples with ‘horrendous’ court costs

    Legal
    Foreign Secretary David Lammy is set to hold talks with officials about Iran and Israel.
  • Motor finance war of words heats up as City watchdog blasts law firm’s motives

    Legal
    The FCA has introduced new proposals to close the financial advice gap.
  • City watchdog suspends parts of £9bn motor finance scheme after industry backlash

    Banking
    The FCA has appointed Liam Coleman interim chair of the FOS.
  • Reform pledges £50bn savings in ‘generational’ benefits shake-up

    Politics
    Robert Jenrick speaking at a podium with BRITAIN NEEDS REFORM sign, delivering a speech.
  • FCA boss takes aim at motor finance lenders and claims firms

    Banking
    The FCA laid out the next steps for its motor finance redress.
  • Admiral profit slides as boss eyes push into EV insurance

    Insurance
    Admiral has reported a bumper set of results
  • Workspace urges investors to block ‘destructive’ Saba proposals

    Property
    Workspace Group said occupancy was down very slightly to 88.1 per cent, compared to 88.4 per cent at the end of last year. 
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook