Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,705.27
-0.14%
DAX
26,216.01
-0.47%
CAC 40
8,530.80
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,489.92
-0.62%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 26 March 2021 12:18 pm

Volkswagen to seek damages from former chairman over dieselgate

By: Edward Thicknesse

Add as a preferred source on Google
Volkswagen today announced that it would seek damages from its former chairman Professor Marin Winterkorn, as well as former Audi chair Rupert Stadler, over its diesel emissions scandal.
The dieselgate scandal has cost Volkswagen €32bn so far.

Volkswagen today announced that it would seek damages from its former chairman Professor Marin Winterkorn, as well as former Audi chair Rupert Stadler, over its diesel emissions scandal.

The crisis, which exploded when the firm admitted in 2015 it had rigged emissions tests in the US, has cost the car giant €32bn (£27.4bn) in fines and refunds so far.

In a statement, Volkswagen’s board accused the two of breaching their duty of care. But it said that no other board members were responsible.

“Based on the outcome of [an] investigation, the Supervisory Board has concluded that Winterkorn breached his duties of care as former Chairman of the Board of Management of Volkswagen AG by failing, in the period from 27 July 2015 on, to comprehensively and promptly clarify the circumstances behind the use of unlawful software functions in 2.0l TDI diesel engines sold in the North American market between 2009 and 2015”, it said in a statement.

“Winterkorn also failed to ensure that the questions asked by the US authorities in this context were answered truthfully, completely and without delay.

“The Supervisory Board also concluded that Rupert Stadler breached his duties of care by failing, in the period from 21 September 2016 on, to ensure that 3.0l and 4.2l V-TDI diesel engines developed by Audi and installed in EU vehicles of Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche were investigated with regard to unlawful software functions”, it added.

Both men have previously denied being responsible for the scandal. In a statement issued today, Winterkorn’s lawyers said:

“Professor Winterkorn is aware that the supervisory board is obliged to assess potential claims and to possibly assert them. He will therefore seek to clarify those questions in consultation with Volkswagen.”

The scandal has unleashed a string of copycat claims against other carmakers.

Read more

Volkswagen California 2026 review: plenty of room at the Hotel California

Red Volkswagen VW California camper van with pop-top roof extended, parked on a road with hills in background.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Volkswagen

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Volkswagen California 2026 review: plenty of room at the Hotel California

    Life&Style
    Red Volkswagen VW California camper van with pop-top roof extended, parked on a road with hills in background.
  • Hacking scandal? Inside Prince Harry’s costly legal battle over privacy

    Media
    Associated Newspapers, which is owned by Lord Rothermere's Daily Mail and General (DMG Media), said losses ballooned from £699,000 in 2022 to £44.5m in the year ended 1 October 2023
  • Goldman Sachs criticises £1.45m paternity payout

    Lawsuit
    Goldman Sach bosses said that US stocks were increasingly less preferable than those in the UK and Europe.
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • Sainsbury’s to sell Argos in £120m cut-price deal

    Retail
    Sainsburys supermarket entrance with prominent Argos and Lloyds Pharmacy signs, reflecting the companys acquisitions.
  • City watchdog suspends parts of £9bn motor finance scheme after industry backlash

    Banking
    The FCA has appointed Liam Coleman interim chair of the FOS.
  • Britain should back the North Sea if it wants energy security and net zero

    Opinion
    Oil prices have risen as Israel and Iran tensions escalated.
  • Russian propaganda website hit with record ‘pink slime’ payout at High Court

    Life&Style
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook